What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone is remotely hacking on my iPad. Please help.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Magnetic1 said:
I don't have an update option in settings with iOS 4.3.1, I suppose.

But I hold the power button for a long time and nothing happens.

And what is the home button?

Home - the round button with the square.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

You can not do OTA (Over The Air) updates in iOS 4. It wasn't added until iOS 5. To update from iOS 4 you will have to use a computer with the latest version of iTunes installed.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shoot, I just read on jailbreak and it just sounds like a bunch of copyright infringement activities.
I would post the link but it would be a waste to bother.
If I were to take the ipad to an Apple store what would they do for me?View attachment 25723

Jailbreaking isn't copyright infringement if it were the good folks here wouldn't allow it.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok,

I've connected the ipad 2 to the Mac and I synced and I updated the itunes to 10.7 and I tried to update to ios 6.
But the itunes window said it failed. The ipad does nothing right now. The itunes wants me to restore to factory default and risk losing everything.
What do I do?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the iPad is totally crashed, all you can do is restore to factory.

You can always download all your apps and other iTunes content again for free. If you didn't backup your other documents and pictures, then they are gone. Though, if you do have a backup, save that file. There are programs that can try and recover stuff from the backup.

iTunes: About iOS backups

Jim Leach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Read the sticky threads at the top of the Hacking forum here. This forum does not support piracy, so you'll get the legit legal take there.

The chances that your iPad has been hacked are remote, so remote that you should consider all other explanations first. And whatever is going on, no-one can remote control your iPad or computer if you've turned off the internet. The special hidden chip you probably remember reading about was to bypass encryption, not add a super secret wi-fi connection. As far as I know, that got shot down in Congress.

However, the symptoms you are describing while not typical are not unheard of. They are often caused by hidden problems in Settings. You should try things in this order:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Found under Settings > General > Reset. This will not erase your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to re-tweak many of your other settings to get thing where you want them again.

Restore or Go to Apple: If you go to Apple, there is a good chance the first thing they will do (after confirming the problem) is backup and restore the iPad. If you do restore from a backup, and it does not fix things, you'll have to do a clean restore. Problems like this often come back with the restored data.

Before you restore, or go to Apple, make sure all the documents, pictures, and other important files on your iPad are saved elsewhre, either in the cloud or on a computer.

Good luck.

[Moderator edit: Removed link to e-mail address. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Magnetic1 said:

The home button is the round button in the screen border along the bottom edge of the iPad. It has a square in it.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info.
I did get ios 6 to load properly.
I called apple tech support and they were on the phone with me until I was able to complete the restore.
I was worried that the interruption caused major problems, but luckily the ipad syncing early in the day saved everything in the cloud.
And now I have ios 6 and so far so good.
I almost forgot the reason I started doing all of this, but I will be back to update if any problems occur going forward.

I did successfully reset in ios 4.3.1, but I did not test if that helped any with my original problem.
I accidentally found out that you can update the ipad ios4.3.1 from a Mac.
I did plan on going to the apple store but something drove me to just try the ios update from home Mac computer.
And the ios update required itunes update which required Apple MacOS update, so it took me a bit of time.
I'm not sure if the apple store would have been faster, but it took a while at home.

One last thing, ios 6 added SampleTank and I think it's just awesome.
I don't know why anyone else hasn't mention it before.
Sorry that's the reason it took me a while to respond.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for letting us know.

Hmmm, Sampletank is in the App Store. As far as I can tell it's not included in iOS 6. No idea how it got on your iPad. Is it the free or paid version?

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SampleTank Free is free, but the full version is $19.99.

I like that now I can restart the ipad whenever something acts a little funny.

Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Apple recommends that you restart your iPad at least once a month, or more often if needed. I usually go with once a week, needed or not.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hacking came back. The iOS 6 update made the iPad 2 work better with things that are suppose to work. However the strange behaviors are still happening.

Why does the iPad make the pong sound?

It does this as if to let me know I was near the iPad.

I never setup any app or features for proximity detection.

And I was not aware of a proximity sensor on the iPad.

Does anyone know why the iPad makes a pong sound?

The sound is different from an update notice.
It could be when wifi signal is acquired but my signal was showing strong everywhere in the house.

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why not look at your sound settings and see what event has been set up to use that sound. You should be able to figure out which sound it is by testing each of the supplied tones until you hear the correct one. Then simply see what event or events are using it.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image.jpgThanks.
It's Ding for New Mail.

Most reactions