1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Skyfire "sells out" In a Matter of Hours

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp7RtJROjtE[/ame]​

Skyfire, the Internet browser app that enables you to watch Flash videos on your iPhone and iPad, was launched early last night and caused a sensation. Aside from being a worldwide trending topic on Twitter, once Skyfire hit the App Store, it quickly rose to the top of the paid app charts. However, later in the evening, Skyfire suddenly disappeared from the App Store, and a quick visit to the official Skyfire website revealed that the app was "sold out". Of course, an app can't actually sell out like goods in a real store can, but the message on the site explained that the app had proved to be so wildly popular that people using it to watch Flash videos had crashed the servers. Therefore the app has been temporarily withdrawn from sale until the server issue can be repaired, and the company can be sure that it can handle so many users without crashing again. And of course what the overwhelming demand for Skyfire also shows is how much people want to watch Flash videos on their iPads and iPhones, and how Apple really should have sorted it out itself by now.

Source: Skyfire
  2. MrLee

MrLee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Reviews Not Good

Went to buy it (it was still available) but after reading the poor reviews, I've held off....
  3. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    "Apple really should have sorted it out itself by now".

Tsk tsk Maura, don't reopen the dead flash wars again, but check the recent reviews of the new MacBook Airs.
    Several sites have commented how battery life is seriously reduced using a lot of flash animations. I for one believe they made the right decision.....
  4. HarlyFan

HarlyFan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bring It Back, QUICK!!!
  5. skatealex2

skatealex2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Not that it is the biggest deal but I think if anything they should give you the option to turn flash on or off.
  6. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I honestly don't see all the hoopla over this app.

I got it while it was still available and am very unimpressed. Not because servers were/are hammered... the app itself seems clunky and prone to crash. Doesn't feel "responsive" and the only thing I cared about was the occasional facebook video that I cannot play on iPhone or iPad. Well this app doesn't seem to play it either. So for me it was a fail.

Michael
  7. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh yea I also am not happy that my facebook login info was sent out to skyfire's servers. Someone who accessed a google site via skywire was notified by gmail that there account was logged in from New York, presumably the location of skyfire's servers.

The fact that the servers crashed does not make me any more comfortable. lol
  8. HarlyFan

HarlyFan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Good to know, disappointed to hear!!!
  9. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just gave it another try and it still wouldn't play what I wanted. I could search for something using it's little search for flash video feature but I was hoping I could use it for anything that I needed to try.

Hate to be a debbie downer but my latest peeve is it has no forward button when browsing. Hit back by mistake? Too bad, you are stuck there! lol

Michael
  10. alnlui

alnlui iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't find it at apple store. Where can I download? Thanks.
  11. ChIpad

ChIpad iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would love it, I am one of the flashers LOL so to speak!! But I will also hold off, I do not want to worry about my info being used by other people, that is a little unnerving, so for now, I can wait it out till something better comes out in app store, or they fix their issues.