What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch FLASH Videos On Your iPhone, iPod Touch, And iPad

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reset hookbill. For some of us that are NEW to this topic, we are trying to learn how we can compensate for the lack of flash. So please, if you don't like the thread, you don't have to read or respond.

I would think that if we as users put enough pressure on Apple, they may find a workable solution. I for one am going to find a way to post on Apple's website that we need flash on our devices. Thank you all for the education.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reset hookbill. For some of us that are NEW to this topic, we are trying to learn how we can compensate for the lack of flash. So please, if you don't like the thread, you don't have to read or respond.

I would think that if we as users put enough pressure on Apple, they may find a workable solution. I for one am going to find a way to post on Apple's website that we need flash on our devices. Thank you all for the education.

Good luck but that's probably am uphill battle you may not win. Jobs has said repeatedly that Flash is very vulnerable to attack and causes a lot of issues. Still, my iMac has flash on it. Kind of a contradictory statement. I mean if it's alright for the iMac why not the iPad?

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, here's what I posted in a couple of different places oin Apple.com discussion form, one in a new thread called "WE NEED FLASH": (if we can get enough people to do the same, maybe they'll listen)

I read today an article posted here on apple.com posted by Steven Jobs in April 2010 discussing the reasons Apple does not support Flash and some of the possible work-arounds for it. However, as far as I can tell, most of the reseasons Jobs stated for not having a open relationship with Adobe and flash, could apply to Apple itself also. This decision HURTS the user, regardless of their well thought out garbage they post here for their reasons for it, the bottom line is that we the users cannot ENJOY THE FULL CONTENT OF THE WEB because of it. We shouldn't have to install a new app for this functionality and we shouldn't out up with it. Apple needs to open its eyes and break the paradigm they seem to be stuck in and kiss and make up with Adobe. Let's flood Apple with requests to give us flash!!!

thesoundsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thesoundsmith.com
My computer is on 24/7....why would you turn yours off...it barely uses any power when idle and if your using it...well your using it! I don't trust these 3rd party "cloud" browsers that are basically the same thing as Splashtop but you are logging in to someone elses computer that could easily steal your passwords. Also make sure you don't use them for anything other than passive video viewing, since you are basically just logging in to someone elses computer.

Splashtop is WAY faster too....video playback for me is extremely smooth!
Valid points, and I do leave one of my PCs on all the time for downloading - but I'm not the only user - my wife hardly ever is on her machine, and she loves using my iPad to surf the web.

But you are 200% correct about the surfing/password issue (that's 100% for each...) I do have Norton active, and do keep my password unique for this type of content.

But bottom line for me - sorry, just another whiner - I want Flash on the iPad, seamlessly...

And it's not going to happen. So I think of the iPad as another dedicated tool, like a hammer or toaster. I don't drive nails with my iPad, nor surf my toaster - but I carry 32 fakebooks to my gig, and if they EVER release 4.2, also play the tunes...

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fakebooks on iPad?

Mr Soundsmith,
are you saying you're using the iPad to view fakebooks. If so, where did you get them? -- I use such for piano.
Thanks

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, this is going to be a VERY noob question. I looked at Splashtop and read that if you have windows XP you will not get sound through Splashtop. And it is designed for both the iPad and the PC to be on the same WiFi to work its best.

My PC desktop is not WiFi and runs XP. How would I go about getting the desktop on the WiFi router I have? Currently it is running off the same kind of wire that you use to hook up your cable TV to your computer.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, this is going to be a VERY noob question. I looked at Splashtop and read that if you have windows XP you will not get sound through Splashtop. And it is designed for both the iPad and the PC to be on the same WiFi to work its best.

My PC desktop is not WiFi and runs XP. How would I go about getting the desktop on the WiFi router I have? Currently it is running off the same kind of wire that you use to hook up your cable TV to your computer.

Upgrade to Win 7? Why wouldn't you? It is a million times better. More secure, faster, much much much more stable....Win 7 is the first really well put together OS since NT 4.1

sanddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you got a bunch of videos from HD camera or somewhere, or numbers of favourite DVD movies and want to watch them free on the go, what should you do? Just stored or buy the DVDs from iTunes again? Well, with the portable device player flourishing developing on the market, you can just put the videos and DVD movies on them and playback as desired. The new released iPad, with 9.7-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1024-by-768-piexl resolution, the HD feature makes watching DVD movies an utterly new experience. As well as iPhone 4, thanks to the Retina display, it's pixel density is so high, your eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels. And the remarkable 960x640 resolution screen of iPhone 4 will make your movie watching experience unbelievably sharp and crisp. So it’s wise to convert the videos and kinds of DVD movies to your new iPad or iPhone 4 for entertainment. To help Mac users watching videos and DVD movies on iPad or iPhone 4, this article will focus on this point to show you a solution on how to convert, rip videos and DVD movies to iPad or iPhone 4 on Mac OS. Just read on to find this step-by-step tutorial from the following contents.

What You Will Need
* Bunch of videos or DVD movies
* iFunia MediaConverter Bundle
* iTunes

Step-by-step guide: how to convert video to iPad or iPhone 4 on Mac OS

Step1. Add video to convert
Download iFunia MediaConverter Bundle and run the Video Converter Pro, click Add…button to select and open the video file you wish to convert. iFunia MAC Video Converter Pro is an all-in-one MAC video converter, a groundbreaking Mac video format converter you can use to convert video of all popular formats like AVI, WMV, AVCHD, MKV, FLV, H.264/AVC, MP4, MOV, 3GP,etc. for playback on iPad, iPhone 4, iPod, Apple TV and other portable devices.

Step2. Select an output format
In the Destination-Setup section of the interface, choose the right preset for your iPad or iPhone 4 devices in the Convert-to drop-down menu.

Step3. Adjust audio and video parameters
In the Convert to settings, you can get the following window will pop up. This iFunia Mac Video Converter Pro allows users adjusting video and audio parameters like codec name, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels to optimize the playback quality on iPad or iPhone 4.

Please notice that the parameters you changed should not be out of the format restrictions of iPad and iPhone 4, otherwise, the output files may not playable. Following are iPad and iPhone 4 all Supported following Video Format.

* H.264 video (up to 720p, 30 frames per second; main profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats)
* MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
* Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.

Step4. Click the “Start†button to start conversion on OS X
Bingo! That’s it! When the conversion is done you can transfer the video to your iPad or iPhone 4 via iTunes and enjoy it anytime and everywhere!

Steps on ripping DVD movies to iPad or iPhone 4
The steps on ripping DVD movies are similar to convert videos. First, run the DVD Ripper Pro from the iFunia MediaConverter Bundle, and click the "Load..." button to load IFO files. Next preset the output settings, adjust wanted parameters and then click "Start" button to start the ripping.

After all are done, you just get the wanted DVD movies on MAC, and sync them to your iPad or iPhone 4 for playback on-the-go!

Additional tips:
* iFunia MediaConverter Bundle allows you convert HD videos and rip DVD movies to all popular formats.
* Batch conversion. Convert multiple videos in one pass to save time.
* Save video and DVD movies for iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G(S), Apple TV, PSP, Zune, Archos, BlackBerry, cell phone and more.
* You can join multiple video files to create a single movie via merge the video files.
* You can do simple editing like trimming, cropping, adding special effects, watermark to video and deinterlace video by clicking "Edit". Real-time preview provided while editing.
* You can preview the video by selecting the video and clicking Play in the preview pane. You can also take snapshot and save them as jpg, bmp file while preview.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

If your desktop is on the same network but simply using a cable, you're fine as far as performance. I've gotten acceptable performance via 3G on my iPad, though it's much better wih a faster connection.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And sound does work on XP... at least it works for me. I could not get sound to mute on the XP box though, so have to turn off the speakers.

My problem with XP is the PC-side server software seems to "go away." I get around that by RDPing in with another app to reboot the PC. When it starts back up Splashtop is there again--so far anyway.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And sound does work on XP... at least it works for me. I could not get sound to mute on the XP box though, so have to turn off the speakers.

My problem with XP is the PC-side server software seems to "go away." I get around that by RDPing in with another app to reboot the PC. When it starts back up Splashtop is there again--so far anyway.

Wouldn't it be easier to just upgrade?

Most reactions

Latest posts