1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Watch FLASH Videos On Your iPhone, iPod Touch, And iPad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by PhilSynowiec, Nov 3, 2010.

1. PhilSynowiec

PhilSynowiec Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtkX7eN26fY]YouTube - Watch FLASH Videos On Your iPhone, iPod Touch, And iPad - iOS Vlog 180[/ame]​

Yesterday, I posted a video on Skyfire 2.0 coming to iOS devices on November 4th. Well, it released today instead. Skyfire allows you to play Flash videos on your iOS device by sending the Flash content to the Skyfire servers, then they send it back, almost instantly, to play in HTML five. The buffer for each video, depending on the size, isn't too bad. Videos under five minutes should load within 20-30 seconds. This streams the video right on your device in pretty damn good quality.

Check it out in the App Store for $2.99 under the name Skyfire.

Or Click Here:
    Skyfire Web Browser for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
  2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    I don't think they made this for the iPad, yet.
  3. Dbolen888

Dbolen888 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Skyfire less than stellar

At least for me, my 1st experience as been awful.
    1st I learn that Skyfire doesn't do Youtube though
    iPad usually can.

I quickly got a notice from Google that someone had
    accessed my Gmail account from New York. I take it
    they're talking about Skyfire's using my account info
    to access my Gmail account ?

I try to access Kim Komando video's and get messages
    that Gmail is blocking Popups (and I even disabled that)
    to no avail.

I know you're probably not the Guru here -- just wanted
    to register my frustration that many might have trying
    to make use of Skyfire
  4. Dbolen888

Dbolen888 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just joined Skyfire on Facebook. One disgruntled user said the reviews are saying it doesn't work for iPad. Do you agree or disagree?
  5. rwsimon

rwsimon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Doesn't matter. It's no longer available from the App Store.:(
  6. socalpimp

socalpimp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Skyfire got destroyed......Their servers got clobbered from the demand. No way the ipad is gonna get a version.
  7. Dbolen888

Dbolen888 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Mystery deepens

Wanted to see if Skyfire worked better on my iPod Touch. Surprise, iTunes store shows Skyfire Web Browser no longer available. What's up w/that?:mad:
  8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Did you read the reviews?
  9. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    hmmm, if there is so much demand for it maybe apple can make some kind of compromise....maybe a version of flash that only plays web videos and no animations or scripts.
  10. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve Jobs is not going to allow Flash on his hand-helds. There is no profit for him, and more important, he does not maintain control. If I can view my 45-page music website on my Touch without having to convert 200 video and music files (all my own original content, BTW) I don't have to adopt "the Apple Way," (that's me and the other 95% of the installed web browser base.)

So for now, link to YouTube and double-upload, but I can't take the time to recode for the browsers, I'm trying to make music, not websites. Thanks again, Stevie...

These could be such amazing devices - but I guess this app'll show up on Cydia, and I'll have to jb. Now I have a reason. :D
  11. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Assuming this app goes to Cydia, which I doubt, it is not worth jailbreaking for. Trust me. It's really clunky.... and I would never use it as my everyday browser. Ugh. No forward button or way to move forward, for instance. If you accidentally go back a page there is no way to simply go forward again. And the facebook feature to me is stupid... I would rather the time spent on that had been spent on making the app itself better. Crashed on me when I tried to go to history too... which I was doing because there was no forward button. Finally, I have yet to get it to work with any the flash videos I have tried.

I can't imagine all the issues I have had have to do with their servers. I didn't even get to that point, aside from videos they show in a search box--and I will say that those did in fact play. But even during playback things were kind of odd: the usual video maximize button was there but didn't work.... tapping it once made it go away for good. Maybe these are first release issues but so far I can only see this being useful if this app played the Flash videos you simply had to have on your iPhone/iPad.

Michael
  12. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Why would it be in cydia...apple didn't take it down...the dev did...they couldn't handle the demand.

Just use splashtop remote!! It's safer and way better!
  13. leey

leey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great news, thanks, can't wait to have a try :)
  14. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh - sounded like it was Apple's idea - my bad. OK, so it was a bad app, good news for the non-purchasers - I would have jumped had I seen it. And maybe they'll work out the bugs and get a bunch of new, faster servers...

Splashtop? Don't I have to connect to my PC, not just to an iPad web browser? I want to watch Flash video content on my own and other websites just like a 'normal' browser.
  15. thesoundsmith

thesoundsmith iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    btw, I did buy Splashtop, and it's great for what it is, but it's still not the answer I'm looking for. If I don't leave the computer on all the time, actual remote viewing can't happen. With a remote server, it's not my power bill that takes the hit...
  16. Glen march

Glen march iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Flash

Nice of you to share that Phil:) But I dont see why we trusting consumers should have to go to that effort and cost get flash to work on a device that is marketed as a tool for surfing the net. used to be an Apple fan when they didn't follow the Microsoft approach to non-compatibility. rant over, but they've lost me till they sort this.
  17. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK this thread was meant to help find a solution. Personally I don't think SkyFire is a good solution but at least it is an ATTEMPT. Ditto for the Splashtop suggestion--and I think I'm gonna try it.

But to just whine about the lack of flash again? Now you are being part of the problem and not helping with a solution... Rather is is beating a... well you get the picture... lol

[​IMG]
  18. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My computer is on 24/7....why would you turn yours off...it barely uses any power when idle and if your using it...well your using it! I don't trust these 3rd party "cloud" browsers that are basically the same thing as Splashtop but you are logging in to someone elses computer that could easily steal your passwords. Also make sure you don't use them for anything other than passive video viewing, since you are basically just logging in to someone elses computer.

Splashtop is WAY faster too....video playback for me is extremely smooth!
  19. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I like Splashtop around the house, but it doesn't appear to work via 3G when I'm away from home. Is there a way to configure that?
  20. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Never mind - a quick Google answered my question and it's set up now. Flash via 3G is mighty slow...