Should I upgrade now?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by MistaKuraudo, Nov 19, 2011.

  1. MistaKuraudo

    MistaKuraudo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2011
    Messages:
    42
    Thanks Received:
    23
    Okay I'm completely new to jailbreaking apple devices. At first I assumed that staying on a lower firmware and waiting for a jailbreak was the best option, but as I'm learning more about this stuff, I think I've come to the realization that it's not that easy.

    Anyway, I bought an iPhone 4S (5.0) and an iPad2 (4.3.5) and have stuck with ios5.0 for the iPhone. No problem. But I didn't upgrade to 5.0 on my iPad since I thought sticking with a lower firmware would be better.

    My question is(I've already made an assumption, just trying to get confirmation), there isn't a way to just upgrade to 5.0 on my iPad anymore, correct? And if so, that would mean upgrading to 5.0.1 asap in hopes of there being a way to jailbreak that sometime in the future, right?
     
    #1 MistaKuraudo, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. Mickey330

    Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Messages:
    11,822
    Thanks Received:
    2,083
    Well, I'm not going to tell you to upgrade your iPad2 to iOS 5.0.1 (cause you are right, you can't go to iOS 5.0 any longer).

    What I am going to tell you is that I believe you will see a jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 long before you'll see on for iOS 4.3.5. That iOS (4.3.5) is "old news" now - most jail breakers are focused on working on iOS 5.x. Again, this is what I believe...

    But, that doesn't mean you have to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 "asap" either. The upgrade asap was to get onto iOS 5.0 and then wait. Since you didn't go to iOS 5.0, you can still wait to see which way to go. The time to get nervous about what to do will be when (if) Apple announces an iOS 5.0.2 or higher. Then, you'll have to monitor here, Twitter, etc., so you can decide what to do.

    So, no real info here. Honestly? It's all a crap shoot and sometimes ... you get snake eyes! But, hang in there.

    Marilyn
     
  3. MistaKuraudo

    MistaKuraudo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2011
    Messages:
    42
    Thanks Received:
    23
    Thank you very much. Yeah, I should have read up on all of this a lot sooner. My fault for assuming I'd be able to update to any higher firmware I wanted. Lesson learned. I think I'll upgrade to 5.0.1 for now and wait it out there. But yeah, I can understand how it's all a gamble. It's a bit more complicated than I thought it would be, but I think I see things a bit more clearly. Thank you again!
     
  4. namezox

    namezox
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2011
    Messages:
    9
    Thanks Received:
    0
    I am having the same issue with you. I might SELL my ipad 2 4.3.5 and buy a 5.0 on ebay or something
     
  5. graywolf

    graywolf
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    3,652
    Thanks Received:
    35
    Why would you sell an iPad 2 with 4.3.5 and buy one with 5.0?
    Why don't you just update to 5.0?
     
  6. MoonlitSonata

    MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Messages:
    2,377
    Thanks Received:
    159
    Just update via iTunes...
     
  7. Mickey330

    Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Messages:
    11,822
    Thanks Received:
    2,083
    Because you can't update to 5.0 any more; Apple has stopped signing it. You can only update to 5.0.1.

    Marilyn
     
  8. iRuthlessPad

    iRuthlessPad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

    Joined:
    May 19, 2011
    Messages:
    389
    Thanks Received:
    0
    same peoblem here :( stuck with the decision...even i think its better to upgrade to ios 5.0.1 rather than stick ti ios 4.3.5...ohh god :(
     
  9. Gzoladz

    Gzoladz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Messages:
    281
    Thanks Received:
    6
    If I were on 4.3.5 I would upgrade right now to whatever 5.x you can and stay there. At this stage it is all speculation, but the fact is that the dev team is gathering crash reports to identify vulnerabilities for the next jb.

    I am 99.99% that there will not be a jb for 4.3.5 only, so no point in staying there just for the hope.

    My opinion is that the next jb (if there is one) will support whatever ios is available at this point in time, at least.

    Again, this is what I would do, but nobody know the whats, ifs, whens and hows
     
  10. MistaKuraudo

    MistaKuraudo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2011
    Messages:
    42
    Thanks Received:
    23
    Well I've already updated to 5.0.1. I've heard that the 5.0.1 update was mainly used for solving the battery problem for the 4S, so I'm assuming that they can use the same exploits as they can/did with 5.0. Here's hoping.
     

Share This Page