1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

jailbreak ipad 2 opinons

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by moooboy, Dec 5, 2011.

1. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got an Ipad 2 32gb wifi from Bestbuy on version 4.3.5. Im on the fence about JB or upgrading to 5.0.1 for the new features. Im not new to JB. I just sold my iphone 4 JB and unlocked and bought an iphone 4s on 5.0(waiting for the JB) and plan on using the iphone 4s JB to use the Ipad on the wifi hotspot like i used to do with my iphone 4. The ipad downgrade to 4.3.3 and them JB is the way i would have to JB, correct?
    Any opinions?
    thanks
  2. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    can i also JB the ipad by downgrading to 4.3.3 and then with some shsh to preserve the BB get to 5.0.1 for all the features? How?
    thanks
  3. MistaKuraudo

MistaKuraudo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Well, I'm pretty new so I dunno if I can give you the information you need, but I was in the same spot you were. New iPhone 4S, new iPad 2. From what I've learned so far, you can't downgrade your iPad without the use of blobs, and since you have a new iPad, I don't think you've done that. The ideal situation when I had the chance was to upgrade to 5.0 and wait for the JB along with my iPhone 4S, but I also thought I could downgrade, so I missed the opportunity. So what I did when I realized this was update my iPad to 5.0.1 and I'm just going to wait it out on this firmware.

Hope this helped some.

@mooboy SHSH blobs are unique to each device. You can't simply obtain them after Apple has stopped signing them.
  4. shani12

shani12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't jailbreak ur ipad 2-- iOS 5 has tons of new features specially design for iPad 2!!!!!
  5. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you can downgrade 4.3.5 here with limrra1n
  6. shani12

shani12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't use limera1n------ redsn0w ftw!!!!!
  7. MistaKuraudo

MistaKuraudo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I don't believe that works with the iPad 2.
  8. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Welcome to the forum moooboy. Our sticky posts in this section should answer all your questions, so please review them, but for the avoidance of doubt you cannot jailbreak or downgrade your iPad2 as things stand today, and there are no great options other than upgrading to 5.0.1 and waiting to see what transpires. You cannot install 4.3.3 or 5.0. Sorry.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/44596-official-ipad2-jailbreak-thread.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/53082-ios5-jailbreak-strategy-guide.html

Good luck.
  9. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok so ill upgrade to 5.0.1 and see what happens. I really just need my 4S JB to tether but the ipad would have been nice
    thanks eveyone
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  10. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    moooboy, if you happen to be grandfathered with AT&T unlimited data be careful when you are finally able to jailbreake your iPhone 4S and able to tether. Reason I say this is AT&T been cracking down on folks tethering, they give them a warning and if you are caught again they change your plan to add tethering, when this change is made you lose unlimited data and the system won't let them change it back.
  11. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how would they know? data is data and unless i click the tethering app on a stock iphone, they have no way of knowing. Thats the whole point of JB. I am aware of the unlimited being taken away if i tether without a JB
  12. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,727 / 0
    moooboy: Wookiee2cu has given you some excellent advice. Because, although no one really knows how they're are doing it, the major carriers ARE finding folk who are using jailbroken iPhones to use as tethering devices.

This was a major topic over the spring/early summer. Many, many people got warning notices from their carrier(s) that if they did not stop tethering (without signing up for a tethering plan) - they would be moved to a tethering plan automatically by the carrier. And, many claimed to have been moved or that they have stopped tethering after receiving a text notice from their carrier. Have a Google on this topic, there's a lot of discussion out there...

Again, no one knows how exactly the carriers are monitoring this tethering. But, yes, they DO know.

Marilyn
  13. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im not buying it, I think its all scare tactics by att. Maybe there is a tether app they can track but not all. I believe some may have been caught with a spike in data after they tethered, I always use tons of data. But i still believe big brother att has no way to prove it with anything other than Mywifi. It they want to threaten me I'll threaten them right back and switch to Verizon. I really dont think they want to do that since im on unlimited everything and ill take 12 employees with unlimited everything with me when i switch. It will be their choice at that point. I never used mywifi myself when i had my JB iphone 4, now im waiting for the 4s JB on 5.0. There are some that you can hide the APN connection so ATT CAN'T see it. One of those Ive been using for 4 years with my previous JB iphones.
    Here's a link [Moderator edit: Removed link to external iPad-related web site. I know it supports your decision, but the link is against forum policy.]
    it will clear up the ATT seeing your tethering questions. I have no moral problem tethering. I'm paying for data, it shouldn't matter where that data is going once its in my iphone

Thanks for the advise though
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  14. andrewak

andrewak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There is no problem for them to check IP-packet ttl field. I think you may contact the author of this tweak - this problem probably can be solved on iPhone part.
  15. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well i ended up taking my ipad2 wifi back because i want 3g now, so i got a 32gb 3g and when i turned it on its on 5.0!!! sweet!, which is better, since im sure when the JB is finally out ill be able to JB my 4S that's on 5.0 also.
  16. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is tiny umbrella the best way to preserve my 5.0 baseband?
  17. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    There is absolutely no reason to preserve the iPad baseband. Why would you?
  18. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just assuming it was similar to the iPhone jb, I new to ipad. Jb
  19. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    OK. Well, you don't have to preserve the baseband of the 3G iPad since it does not need to be carrier unlocked with ultrasn0w, and there has only been one unlockable iPad baseband on the iPad1 3G which was 06.15.00, which is likely long gone from everyones devices now.
  20. moooboy

moooboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would assume they are working on a iPhone 4s/iPad 2 on 5.0 unlock as well other than the tmobile sim switch unlock unless that will work on the iPad also