What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Settings for Airport Utility / Airport Express

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Airport Express. The idea behind it is, I want to be able to take it to any hotel or location that ONLY has wired internet, and create a WiFi hotspot for my iPad.

Right now I have it set up working on my home network, but I want to make sure the settings are correct so that I could...say...take it to the Ramada Inn that only (in this example) has wired ethernet internet and plug it in, and turn the connection into a WiFi network.

What settings do I need to put in specifically for that purpose?

homefuture

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same qustion too. I am using my ipad on the road all the time and most time out of US. Most hotels don't offer wifi in guest room but provide ethernet port for internet use. I am looking for a small device with no setup needed at the point of use as I will not have computer on hand when I am going to use such device to connect with ipad to internet.
Thank you
Stephen

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I paid 15$ for a refurbished NetGear 4 port WiFi router on eBay. That's all you would need really.

homefuture

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help y2kgtp. I don't know if this NetGear router needs to be setup by computer or if it is large in size. In my case; I use my ipad when I on a trip. I pack light.(that's why I use ipad, not a labtop) So if the router or any devise that needs to by setup by computer at the point of use (at this point, use by ipad) is no use at all, or if it is too big in size. I've yet to try the airport express for ipad but will going to later this month. I've found this device "CradlePoint CTR500" which may work for my case but I'd like it to be smaller and it also works for 3g/4g modem as well which I don't need. I hope there is a small device just convert the ethernet port to wifi hotspot or a cable os something that can connect ipad to the ethernet port to sue the internet.
Thanks again for the help.
stephen

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured this out, it works fine. Basically most of the default settings are what you need.

homefuture

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you guys! I've just order the airport express. I will give it a try next trip.
-stephen

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you guys! I've just order the airport express. I will give it a try next trip.
-stephen

Isn't that like...180$? :eek:

Nope, $99 straight from Apple.

AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (U.S.)

or $95 from Amazon.

That's more acceptable. I was looking at the extreme base i guess.

I still vote for my 15$ NetGear refurb router. was free shipping too.

Also glad I have WiFi tethering on my Droid :D

Now if that iPad would ship.....

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How big is the router though? The AXP is tiny. Plus it plugs directly in, so no power cable. Perfect for traveling.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How big is the router though? The AXP is tiny. Plus it plugs directly in, so no power cable. Perfect for traveling.

Here it is with my Droid on top....

img5431e.jpg

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the power cable? Here is mine, complete, with my Droid on top. :)

For traveling, every inch counts. ;)

4710574091_7758329918.jpg

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You can leave the settings that same.

Just when you are not at home instead you want to plug the wired connecting into one of the 4 PC ports on the router, not the one that says internet.

If you have any problems you can go to the routers config page and turn off the routers DHCP server as it could conflict with the hotels DHCP server.

Most reactions

Latest posts