What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + Airport Express to stream music: How do I?

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now, I have 4.2.1 on our wifi iPad. AirPlay doesn't show up. From a little googling, I guess you need some type of router/Airport or ATV working to get AirPlay to show up. Seems odd, but I'm not a programmer. I'm thinking I should update to 4.3 just to be safe....

My buddy just gave me an Airport Express he's not using. My thought: Plug this in to an outlet in our loft area, use a 3.5mm "patch" cable, plug cable to Express to shelf stereo system, use iPad over our wireless router to play music. Is this doable? Can the Express be a standalone without an ethernet cable?

Yesterday, I had a heckuva time setting up the AirPort Express. I had a flashing amber light. I did hard reset (held in the reset button while pugging in the unit). I then hooked up an ethernet cable to our laptop to the Airport Express. I had downloaded the Airport utility to the laptop which is running Windows Vista. It found the unit, but it still had two "issues". Something about a network. In hindsight, maybe it was trying to gain access to the wireless router...I'm not sure. Anyone ever set one of these up before? Apple's site had me thinking this was plug play...it was far from that. Although, we can't rule out operator error.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, sidenote. This set up is at our weekend place. So trouble shooting may be a bit tough. I did, however, update the firmware on the AirportExpress as instructed. I do have the model numer of the unit if that would be helpful.

Ral14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course it's very doable.. That's the whole idea behing the airport express. I have 2 of them. Your'e right about the set up.. it sometimes takes a while for the light to turn green, and the unit to be recognized on your network.. but once it's green.. all you do is plug in an 1/8 inch headphone jack to your stereo, and you will have wireless music from your ipad. Not just Itunes, either.. Pandora and EVERYthing that outputs sound. You just double click the home button, and swipe to the left, which brings up your ipod controls. You will then see the airplay button, and all you have to do is click your airport express, and your music will stream to whatever stereo it's hooked up to.

OP
S

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Ral14! I had been meaning to update this thread.

Long story short, I got it working. The following weekend, I sat down with it again and was able to get the software to 'find' the AirPort. I had a green light and thought I was all set....then it went to amber or flashing amber. What ended up solving it was cycling off the cable modem and the wireless router. Once everything was back online, I had a green light. Hopefully, this will help someone out if they run into the same issue.

It's a great device. Being able to stream music without having to plug in our iPad or Blackberries is really really nice. I also like the ability to control the volume right from the device.

Just Me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Skier76!!
I'm asking my self how did you achieved to stream music from your blackberry to the Airport?!
I'll be very glad to know how did you did this!!!

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This weekend I spend again a few hours on the AE. If I set it up as a stand alone network it streams great. I connect to that network from my Ipad and can play the music. In this scenario I can not go on the internet with my Ipad and that is a bummer.

If I join my AE to my home network it connects, but after a while it disconnects. It has WPA2 security and should work with this. Besides, to change to WEP or no security is not an option.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be?

regards,

Jan

OP
S

Skier76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just Me,
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. We hooked the blackberries up to the stereo via a patch cable. I wish there was a way to stream them with the AirPort Express.

Just Me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you any way Skier76 I'll continue searching!!
JJK,
I joined the AE to my home net. and it works just fine!! Maybe it's the WPA2 encryption I've the WPA and it works as I said fine! I remember some troubles when I used the WPA2 encryption.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just Me said:
Thank you any way Skier76 I'll continue searching!!
JJK,
I joined the AE to my home net. and it works just fine!! Maybe it's the WPA2 encryption I've the WPA and it works as I said fine! I remember some troubles when I used the WPA2 encryption.

Thanks and I also have the feeling it is this. I will try during the weekend to change to WPA.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts