What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Airport Express lose connection

linco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad Mini and an Airport Express. Bought the Airport Express a couple years ago to use in a certain venue. I was having some issues with the iPad Mini, so just after Christmas, I reset it to Factory settings and reloaded from scratch (not using a Backup). Solved the issue I was having, but now the iPad and the Airport Express lose connection constantly. We can be using it, stop for a minute and the connection is gone. I went to the Apple Dealer where I bought it (not an Apple store) and they told me "oh the Airport Express doesn't have very good reception and just won't work if it is any distance away". Well, it has been working beautifully for 2 years and the iPad is usually not more than 10' away!

It is really suspicious that this problem only started after a factory reset! I'm frustrated - it works like a really bad Bluetooth connection!

Any suggestions?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting network settings on your iPad? Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. This will reset the network settings to factory default and will not erase ant data from your iPad. You may have to re-enter passwords for sites that normally remember you.

BTW, my Airport Express is strong enough that I still get a connection from halfway down the block.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Linco - welcome to the forum! :) You should also 'power cycle' your modem and router, i.e. turn off the power and/or pull the plugs from the power adapters, wait about a minute, then replug the modem first, followed by the Airport Express - let us know. Dave

OP
linco

linco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue started when I reset everything on the iPad, but I will try just resetting the network on Saturday when I am back at the venue. I am glad to hear that the Airport Express works from a distance because it certainly did for the last 2 years!!

It isn't attached to a modem and a router - it is used solely for playing music through a sound-system in a space

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The issue started when I reset everything on the iPad, but I will try just resetting the network on Saturday when I am back at the venue. I am glad to hear that the Airport Express works from a distance because it certainly did for the last 2 years!!

It isn't attached to a modem and a router - it is used solely for playing music through a sound-system in a space

OK - now I'm confused - my assumption was that you were having problems w/ Wi-Fi networking between your AE router and your iPad? The suggestions given so far apply to that issue. Now, you state that the iPad '..isn't attached to a modem and a router' - what does that mean? And finally, 'how' are your playing music through a sound-system, i.e. via Wi-Fi, BT, or cabled? Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts