What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

airport express wired connectivity

Tracy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have just bought an wifi enabled ipad (no 3g). What I am wondering is if I take my ipad to work where there is only wired eithernet connections - would I be able to use airport express to connect my ipad to the internet. I have previously brought my windows pc and directly connect it - but cannot do this with the ipad.
I dont want to invest in airport express if it wont work for me

thanks

OP
T

Tracy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim
Thanks that's a really clear with the pics too lol.... Being an iPad beginner. Is there a way of doing it without taking my windows pc to work as well as the iPad?
Tracy

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim
Thanks that's a really clear with the pics too lol.... Being an iPad beginner. Is there a way of doing it without taking my windows pc to work as well as the iPad?
Tracy
Yes you can do it with airport express, which would indeed be a lot cleaner than using a laptop for just that purpose.

However, be sure your employer is OK with that. You are essentially rebroadcasting your work network over WiFi and likely to outside the building. I know of places where if you did that without approval you would be terminated--even if you secured the wireless connection.

Michael

OP
T

Tracy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmmmmm not sure the national health service would approve
Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim
Tracy
Yes you can do it with airport express, which would indeed be a lot cleaner than using a laptop for just that purpose.

However, be sure your employer is OK with that. You are essentially rebroadcasting your work network over WiFi and likely to outside the building. I know of places where if you did that without approval you would be terminated--even if you secured the wireless connection.

Michael

Excellent point - Tinman - as usual I started to type before rebooting my brain.....wouldn't too convenient to haul your home PC or laptop into work...

Doh!.......

Tim
Scotland
PS must be something in the air....

OP
T

Tracy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmmmmm guess I'll have to admit defeat on this one
Thanks guys

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Always check with your IT department before doing anything like this. Especially if you wish to hook up a WAP to a local network.

Where I work, we do wireless sweeps every week or so at random times, and anyone with a WAP is sent to HR and 90% of the time, they are let go. Considering we are an HR consulting firm for many of the large companies around the world and have Government contracts, WAPs in our office (as well as the other data centers around the globe) are strictly forbidden and treated severely.

Also, having personal equipment in our office (i.e. iPad, Netbooks, laptops and non-company smartphones) have to be approved or left in the car. While the phones are not too big an issue, we will not connect them to our messaging systems. We are very protective of our data and corporate integrity. I had to get my iPad approved to bring in to the office. It took some time, but finally passed.

However, in some of our satellite offices which are not data centers have WAPs for their meeting rooms that are very locked down and sit in their own highly managed subnet where VPN is required to see the internal network.

Every company will have their own policies for wireless access. Just make sure to check with your IT department before trying to do anything.

Most reactions