What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up ipad with no computer

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have been reading up on how to set up ipad without a computer at home and it seems
Fairly easy to do. But...I have some questions. This is for a friend whom I am going with to buy one at apple . She will get the latest wifi only 32 gb.

While setting it up, she can add a brand new gmail email and add her credit card and set up an Apple ID.
But when I look at my iPad I see that in the about I have down my home network information.

She will not have this...the day after she buys it she leaves for Florida for 4 months. On the way she wants to use hotels wifi access to pick up emails and use web. Then in Florida she uses her friends wifi connection where she is staying.

So my question is can she set up without her own wifi connection info.
She will probably get this connection at home upon her return in 4 months.
I hope I am not rambling too much and you understand what I am asking.

Thanks all.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad can use any available WiFi networks to connect to the internet. If you go to Settings>WiFi, you'll see a list of all currently available WiFi networks. Click on the one you want and, if requested, enter the password and the iPad will connect. After connecting to a WiFi network once, it will automatically connect again the next time it becomes available.

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you sciant. I understand what you are saying so I do not understand when I look at my iPad under general, settings what does the address mean under wi fi address and Bluetooth. Both of these settings have a number but I am not sure what that number is. I have never paid attention to it. If I were to go to another location tonight and pick up a new wifi connection would that number change.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Under General > Settigns > About?

Those are the iPad’s MAC address(s) (one for wi-fi and one for Bluetooth)

Every network capable device made has a unique hardware address that is used to join it to a local network. This is called a MAC (Media Access Control) address. This works at a deaper layer than assigned IP address. You can assign an IP address to any machine or network. A MAC address is specific to a piece of hardware, and never changes.

Think of the IP address as a Post Office Box. Anyone can own it, and might even own more than one. The MAC address would be a specific person. When you join a wi-fi (or other) network, your MAC address gains an IP address that lets it send and receive data on the network. Kind of like moving into a new town and getting a post office box.

Why are they listed? Mostly for support technicians who might need to know them when troubleshooting a network issue. Occationally for those joining a network manually, or who need to restrict access to a network to specific devices.

Here is more info about MAC Addresses than you’ll probably ever need, or want to know.
MAC address - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whilst you can use any WiFi connection, as Scifan says, but I would recommend you use a private secure network (such as in a home), especially important when you are entering important passwords to set up the iPad.

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Twerppoet. I did not know that info. and also thanks Jupiter7.

As mentioned this friends problem is that when she buys the ipad on Tuesday she will not be going back home for 4 months. She leaves right after buying it for Florida so that is why I wanted to make sure that when I help her set it up we do not have to add anything that she does not have. When she returns in 4 months she will be adding a home network but for now does not have one.

So after buying it , in the apple store she can use there wifi and I can add for her some email contacts and a gmail account for her and an apple ID with credit card and she will be OK to go.... Am I right that this will work out with just those inputs.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One additional point if I may. Give your friend the web address of this forum. If she has problems, get net access, find an internet cafe or similar and ask here. As you can see useful answers are forth coming from many knowledgeable users.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the subject of using Hotel/Motel wi-fi:

There are two main ways you join a motel’s wi-fi. Be sure to let her know to ask at the front desk when checking in.

One requires a password, and possibly a user name, which the desk should give you.

The second requires you to join an open network, and go through a process on a splash screen. Until you open Safari and do whatever this screen whants (it will open by default), nothing else internet will work: mail, internet, icloud, etc.

The processes can be as simple as tapping an Agree button, or require a payment.

Also, unless your friend sets up a VNC (Virtual Network Client) she should avoid doing anythying financial or sensitive on a motel network.

OP
F

fancypants

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet,
My friend got her computer. Quite the fiasco, we went to a Apple picked it up, paid and were just sitting down with Apple guy for him to help us set it up when all electricity was lost. After 5 min. we had to all leave store and after waiting in shopping mall for another 5 min. we had to all leave mall.
So we went back to my house and I tried my best to get her up and running. Got her a Gmail, then an Apple ID and password. Put a few contacts in her contacts for her. She then had to leave as I mentioned she was on her way to Florida. She is there now and is having problems but I think when I get there in another few weeks I can help her some.
Remember this person is 80, never had an iPad or even a computer before so this is so new to her.
She liked the idea of being able to dictate her emails.
I am sure there are a lot of things that I can turn on and off in settings when I get there but is their a list of what is the best settings to use and put everything in order.
Thanks

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I missed the bit about your friend being 80.... One other thought is that I assume there are many Apple stores in Florida if she has a problem.

(The last time I was in Florida, I watched Apollo 17 taking off, Steve Jobs was a teenager and an apple was a fruit)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The user guide for the iPad can be found here. iPad User Guide for iOS 11
It can be read in a browser or downloaded to iBooks. It will take you step by step through the operation of the iPad.
Also, if you have any questions, we're here to help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as setup, for my Mother, I moved all the icons she wouldn’t use to a folder, and placed them on a a second home screen. This reduces the confusion of icons she had to choose from. I also made sure that the contacts she really cared about were under favorites, so she could easily find and dial numbers or send messages.

How you limit and set the iPad will have more to do with your friend’s ability to learn and remember new things than her actual age. I recomend starting simple, and add things as she has a need or shows interest.

Besides the iPad Usder Guide for iOS 11 that SciFan mentioned, there is also an Apple Support app available in the App Store. The new Discover section would be a good way for her to explore some of the features available.

Most reactions

Latest posts