What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scareware warning

J S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
  1. I got this pop up twice this morning, and not. Sure if it's a scam or what please help

Attachments

• IMG_2056.PNG
    IMG_2056.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 261

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's definitely a scam. It's impossible for an iPad to become infected like the pop up says as there's no such thing as a virus that can cause a system wide infection in an iOS device with its app sandboxing. It's also impossible for a browser to determine the state of your battery.

I've also moved your post to its own thread where it will receive more attention as your post was hijacking another thread.

OP
J

J S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's definitely a scam. It's impossible for an iPad to become infected like the pop up says as there's no such thing as a virus that can cause a system wide infection in an iOS device with its app sandboxing. It's also impossible for a browser to determine the state of your battery.

I've also moved your post to its own thread where it will receive more attention as your post was hijacking another thread.
Thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you know which website you visited when this pop up appeared you should refrain from going there in the future. You should also clear your browsing history by going to Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data. This will ensure that if more of those pop ups are hiding there, they'll be deleted.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you

Hello - appears that SciFan.. has solved your problem w/ 'scareware' (a.k.a. 'ransomware') - I've often left the quote below here and also in the Mac-Forums; the first 5 items apply to an iDevice (except of course the mention of an 'ethernet cable').

Just another suggestion for those who like to visit dubious or nefarious website (no judgement here - ;)) - add several more browsers and dedicate one or more to your potentially 'dangerous' surfing - if attacked, just delete the app which will carry along all of the 'badies' thanks to the 'sandbox' technology in iOS (then, if desired, simply reinstall). Dave :)

Ransomware Removal
  1. Force quit Safari.
  2. Turn off your Wi-Fi or disconnect the ethernet cable.
  3. Reopen Safari and close the offending tab(s).
  4. Clear ‘History & Data’ in the Safari menu.
  5. Reconnect to internet, i.e. Wi-Fi or ethernet cable.
  6. Add ‘extensions’: AdBlock & Ghostery.
  7. Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.
  8. Visit AdwareMedic.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've heard this a while ago and don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that Apple products never get viruses.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've heard this a while ago and don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that Apple products never get viruses.

Well, there have been a couple of concepts that never made it to the wild before being patched (blocked), and a couple of other's that worked by getting you to install apps outside the App Store.

Other than that I seem to remember that there threre have been one or two apps in the App Store that collected personal information without disclosing it to the user. These were not reputable developers, and Apple kicked them out of the store the moment they were caught; then improved their screening process and iOS's security permissions to make it even more difficult to pull off.

There is no such thing as a computer that is completely immune to viruses and other mallware. iOS comes close. As long as you exersize common sense precautions you're resonably safe. Avoid the internet's dark alleys, shady characters selling goods off the back of a truck, and free stuff that you darn well know isn't supposed to be free.

Most reactions

Latest posts