What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secureandroid Scareware warning

roadscholar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was on safari this morning and my screen locked with a pop up from "http:secureandroid" with a low battery warning. I couldnt get out of it and all options were working so I clicked on it then went into safari setting and cleared out history and cookies. I now know I should have gone to safari settings and cleared that first. Since the ipad is an iOS device do I need to worry about getting a virus from clicking on the pop up?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was on safari this morning and my screen locked with a pop up from "http:secureandroid" with a low battery warning. I couldnt get out of it and all options were working so I clicked on it then went into safari setting and cleared out history and cookies. I now know I should have gone to safari settings and cleared that first. Since the ipad is an iOS device do I need to worry about getting a virus from clicking on the pop up?
Due to the sandboxed nature of iOS, there are no known viruses that can infect a stock iPad.

OP
R

roadscholar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping that was the case. The scareware pop up said click to download battery saver. I knew it was bogus but I assumed with iOS nothing would really download so I went ahead and clicked on it to unlock the window. Then I got scared and thought what if someone figured out how to backdoor a download without itunes etc. My ipad is not jailbroken and I'm running iOS 7, maybe I should update to iOS 7.1.1? At least I know how to get out of a frozen safari situation now without clicking on the scareware download.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have no intention of jailbreaking your iPad it's a good idea to update to the latest iOS version as updates will contain bug fixes and security updates as well as the possible enhancing of existing features and the addition of new features.

Most reactions

Latest posts