Samsung Unveils Galaxy Tab

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfCZC4VHnE"]YouTube - [GALAXY Tab] Samsung GALAXY Tab Official Commercial[/ame]​

Samsung has been showcasing its Galaxy tablet today, which some experts have been saying could give the iPad a run for its money. The Galaxy has a 7-inch TFT-LCD display, and is powered by the Android Operating System 2.2, and according to Samsung’s press release, it features PC-like web browsing, email, voice and video call, SMS/MMS and social networking. It also has Flash, Samsung says, somewhat pointedly!

At just 380g the Galaxy is very light, almost like an e-reader, and has an e-reading application called the “Readers Hubâ€, as well as a “Media Hub†and “Music Hubâ€, and Google Mobile Services such as Google Maps Navigation and Google Goggles. It also has both front and rear-facing cameras. I wonder if Apple is regretting not including a camera in the first generation of iPads? Or is a camera really necessary on a tablet?

No word yet as to launch date or price for the much-vaunted iPad rival. For discussions on the new Galaxy Tab, and other Android Tablets be sure to visit: Samsung Galaxy Tab

Source: Engadget, Samsung
  2. lowlife

lowlife iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like it, which is a surprise because normally bigger is better in my book.
  3. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Weird, I like it too...
    The size is about right for an ebook reader and proportions fit HD movies.
  4. leey

leey iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, what really stunned me is 'While the iPad has no camera, the Galaxy Tab has two -- including a front-facing camera for video conferencing. It's also a phone.' So awesome!
    Hmm, just considering to buy one or not, as Im also really happy with my fantastic iPad, For work, the iPad does almost all of the things an average user needs, and with a much much nicer U/I. Easy of use, fast, and efficient. For entertainment, now with one of the top features of iPad --- movie watching, Im totally sucked in enjoying kinds of videos and movies with iPad, though some times need in the help of iPad video converter from iFunia for lack of flash support. Ugggggg!!!!
    :confused:
  5. STi

STi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought it had the super amoled screen?...I want the 10 inch version...I have an iPad and the samsung vibrant phone and like the android os better and the super amoled display is SWEET..so much better than LCD. I just got the iPad but wondering if I should have waited.
  6. kapitan

kapitan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, this would definitely look like an oversized iPhone... imagine when it rings and you lift it up and place it over the ear... imagine the stares you will be having...
  7. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    In that clip the guy took the Tab out of his jacket pocket. By the size of the device, I'm pretty sure they had that pocket sown there expressly for that commercial.
  8. robb25j

robb25j iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ummm im a fanboy of apple but im really feeling that samsung that video chat killing and kapitan ppl stare if u have a ipad but imagine ppl stare while u on a video call its no need to putt that on ur ear
  9. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    looks pretty cool. I having a camera and a phone is great. And, no you dont need to put it up to your head, bluetooth or speakerphone. I'd do it with my iPad if I could and stop carrying a phone.
  10. sandra

sandra iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm also amazed by this device! I watched this promo-video and fell in love with Galaxy Tab! It seems just great with all these cool features. I especially like it combines a tablet and a phone. And also that's awsome it supports flash, has USB and 2 cameras.
  11. wingnut1

wingnut1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    USB is a biggie, as is the camera. If the price is right Samsung have a winner on their hands.
  12. zacheryj10

zacheryj10 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm actually shocked how well thisntablet actually looks. I especially am very interested in the camera on the front (not as much for the rear). I foresee Apple having a rough road ahead, especially if: 1) has a cheaper price tag. 2) they do not come out with a second generation with a built in camera. I would even be pleased with a camera add-on kit like the old nitendo gaMeboys
  13. Hawkmech

Hawkmech iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like my ipad but I think I would enjoy the cusomization you can do with Android. If Android launches a tablet and the hardware is reliable look out Apple
  14. Dallasfreak

Dallasfreak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what,,,

I have ,a phone ,a camera ,and Ipad.....dont need another contract for this wanna be ......thats right they say you can only get them through a provider......nope not me I love my Ipad and all the apps,,,,,,Just saying....oh yea one more thing HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS...DF
  15. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looks promising. Laughed at the guy in his boxers..... :D
  16. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    That reminds me of the discussion on a new 7" iPad. This Tab is exactly in that form range, it could be as portable as this one looks like.
  17. tosh.jc

tosh.jc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Going by the projected price of this device in the European market, it'll cost about $1000, non-contract price. That makes it significantly less appealing. I'll stick with my iPad, for sure.
  18. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, I would prefer a larger screen. I dont know if the 7" thing is cutting costs, or if market researchers are saying that's what everyone wants. 7" is certainly better than any phone screen out there, but bigger is better. :)
  19. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The size really depends on what you need to do with such a device.

I've done a lot of hospital waiting rooms lately. While the iPad is entertaining it is too big to be practical there. A smaller design that can read books, magazines and do the occasional web surf or dare I say phone call could be more portable. A 7" will be comfortable for many people.

On another note, I suspect this Tab to be made of plastic ie. the weight. I don't like that it makes a portable device too fragile.
  20. irwaffles

irwaffles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right now the price tag is the deciding factor for me.

I love my iPad but there is definitely room for a second tablet in my life. The current size of the screen is great for school and taking notes, but outside of that I could definitely see why people consider it 'too big'. Maybe the 7'' would be right for, especially since I'm graduating this year! My family has been bugging me to get a second iPad but I told them how Apple likes to refresh their products every year and it's best to get (one) per year haha.

If the Galaxy Tab is priced around $300 US I'm in for one.