What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari URL autocomplete (of www and .com) stopped working

Maroon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After I upgraded to the new operating system (on an ipad1), safari is now not recognizing the URL shortcut as before and I'm being required to type in the complete URL. It does not appear to be an issue with our ISP as my wife's ipad1 (that hasn't been upgraded to the new operating system) still does the automatic autocomplete. Any ideas how to fix? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that the update to iOS means that Safari 'forgets' all its old 'autocomplete' URLs and will have to 'learn' them again. See if the problem persists after you've manually entered the addresses a few times.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Auto completing, as in automatically adding the www. and .com suffix? For example entering 'sciam' and then have Safari autocomplete that address to www.sciam.com?

Anyway, it should still work on iOS 4.3 and 4.3.1.

You could try restarting your iPad by pressing the power button and then slide to power off, as well as closing Safari by entering the multitask bar via pressing the Home button twice, then holding the Safari button until it starts to wiggle and finally press the x.

OP
M

Maroon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I tried powering off and closing out safari with no success. Still have to type in www and .com. Any other settings I can adjust? Thanks.

Reaction score
I am afraid that I cannot think of any other reason why that would happen. Safari does not have any settings to turn this feature off and for me it works on 4.3, as well as 4.3.1.

Have you tried entering "sciam" as an address?

OP
M

Maroon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I get the same error message from Verizon (my ISP) but it takes me to the proper site if I fill out the address with www and .com

goodoldeej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I get the same error message from Verizon (my ISP) but it takes me to the proper site if I fill out the address with www and .com

I know you said this was not an ISP issue, it sure does sound like DNS Redirection to me. iOS (or Mac) Safari itself doesn't ever add www or .com to URLs, the ISP does. I'd look around on the error message page for settings and contact Verizon if you can't figure it out.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts