What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General IOS 4.3 Observations

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Completed the upgrade to 4.3 on an Ipad 1 last night without problems. After evaluating the system I found that, contrary to what I have read, Safari does not appear any faster to me. Secondly, I have found a problem in the Google maps program that is specific to 4.3 (wife's IPad still on 4.2 and doesn't have issue). At some zoom settings, map goes blank and says "no images" at various locations (no logic). When they appear, they are generally about a square mile or so and not consistant or necessarily connected. It is generally at closer views that this problem appears and some times works its way through the grey black as it often does.

I realize it's difficult to outline a specific symptom; however, the map program is generally much less responsive after upgrade and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem or can even explain why that program would be impacted by this upgrade.

By the way, operating test performed on wifi with IOS 4.2 Ipad side by side.

I sure like the rotation option back!

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't notice any improvement in safari either. I'm rather puzzled as to what specifically they would have done to make it faster. I agree about the slide/lock orientation. Man was I bummed when they took that away!

This should've been posted in the "one thread is enough" section to appease mods;)

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i agree with no improvement on safari, where? am i missing something? lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Completed the upgrade to 4.3 on an Ipad 1 last night without problems. After evaluating the system I found that, contrary to what I have read, Safari does not appear any faster to me. Secondly, I have found a problem in the Google maps program that is specific to 4.3 (wife's IPad still on 4.2 and doesn't have issue). At some zoom settings, map goes blank and says "no images" at various locations (no logic). When they appear, they are generally about a square mile or so and not consistant or necessarily connected. It is generally at closer views that this problem appears and some times works its way through the grey black as it often does.

I realize it's difficult to outline a specific symptom; however, the map program is generally much less responsive after upgrade and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem or can even explain why that program would be impacted by this upgrade.

Just wondered if you've tried the usual 'cure-all' for iPad 'issues'.....I'm sure you have, so don't get mad....but, just in case....

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Mine was very buggy after upgrade until I did the above reboot that Tim suggests, not just maps but everything

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What Apple did with 4.3 was improve the javascript engine. Unless the web site you are visiting has a lot of javascript, it is unlikely to show any improvement. Making 5% of the page 50% faster doesn't make much of an impression on perceived speed.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Safari speed seems the same, but some sites are behaving better now. Like some links should have opened in a new tab and in 4.2, they were opening in the same tab.

One thing I noticed is that video played in safari will not AirPlay with video, only audio. It was to my understanding that 4.3 would have provided that feature. Would have like that to work with my apple tv...

OP
M

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just wondered if you've tried the usual 'cure-all' for iPad 'issues'.....I'm sure you have, so don't get mad....but, just in case....

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

One thing for sure Tim, I'll never get upset with anyone trying to help me. I appreciate your advice and yes I did the normal routine and didn't notice any improvement after those procedures. However, today the symptoms have pretty much gone and my trusty steed seems to be operating like its old self so I guess it was just trying to get my attention. I did have a small issue with AirPrint but following the usual troubleshooting procedures I haven't had anymore problems. I do understand the Safari optimization issue as it relates to 4.3 so no more complaints there.

Great forum, great participants!

Erwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can notice some improvement on safari. Not really the stated 2x faster, but if your scroll down a page very fast, it will go a loot smoother than it did before. I also think that you see the checkered background for shorter periods of time now. Before the update it would take some seconds sometimes.

I also like the multitouch gestures for multitasking, although it is far away from public release. I hope Apple will improve this and it will be part of iOS 5 :)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Secondly, I have found a problem in the Google maps program that is specific to 4.3 (wife's IPad still on 4.2 and doesn't have issue). At some zoom settings, map goes blank and says "no images" at various locations (no logic). When they appear, they are generally about a square mile or so and not consistant or necessarily connected. It is generally at closer views that this problem appears and some times works its way through the grey black as it often does.
OK, I gotta ask... are you both looking at the exact same location? In most major metropolitan areas you can practically zoom in close enough to read license plates on cars, but in more remote or rural areas, it is not uncommon to get the "no images" messages when you zoom in too close.

BigBerner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i update an app, i get a new message that it may not be installed, the download begins, biut the installation indicator does not go away..running os 4.3, then i sync and the app is fine, anyone else see this??

OP
M

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point but I thought about that and mixed it up. Actually, after several restarts, etc., it is a little better performing in the map app. Overall, I don't really have any real complaints at this point. I think it falls under the heading of: you get used to how it operates then an upgrade alters that pattern and you have new norms to deal with in performance.

I am now doing a large amount of application work on my Ipad and probably expect too much of the thing. Thanks for the observation.

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, what is it about 4.3 that cause the battery to discharge so fast. On my old OS I'd go for days without a charge, now it needs to be charged very night? This is my only complaint. I did have to go into the store and get to complete the install however, but I have never gotten an upgrade to work correctly (I blame being a Windows user).

Last edited:

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My OS upgrade went fine. Safari has definitely improved for me.

waltercruz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post in this forum, so, sorry if I did something wrong. But, I would like to know if someone else is facing a lot of force close in safari after the iOS 4.3 update? My IPad is the first generation w/ 16GB w/out 3G. Thank you.

Most reactions