What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari, greyed out and cant shift it - Stuck

BarnyBoko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am travelling in Europe and as I have done before, I have paid up to Swiss Mobile at the hotel hotspot to get Wi Fi connected. The first time I logged on no problem. But at the second attempt,the login screen on Safari is greyed out and I cannot use any of the functions. I cant get rid of it. My instincts tell me that the issue is probably with safari and not the wi fi provider.

Any clues out there.

Barney

OP
B

BarnyBoko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a similar query to mine on another forum. Apparantly this issue is becoming quite common and is related to specific software version.

I was advised to hold the on / off button and the "home" button at the same time for at least 10 secs or until the Apple logo appeared on the screen.

I did and it worked.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Barney

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was advised to hold the on / off button and the "home" button at the same time for at least 10 secs or until the Apple logo appeared on the screen.

I did and it worked.

Barney

Glad to hear that a reset helped.

jthreshie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barney, this worked for me with a similar, maybe identical problem: the safari browser was seemingly active in that I could type search terms into the Google search field and see the results. However, the web page that came up was greyed out, as was every other web page. I could not find a direct fix within safari, but by rebooting the iPad-2, I cleared the safari problem. So hold down the power button (top-side) and the task screen button (front, circular) until you see the screen go into a power-down mode. After the iPad-2 reboots you power on and the safari problem is cleared. There may be other solutions, but I am a novice iPad-2 user and this worked.

Kjweede

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you give me help in safari? When I open a www site and then click on the URL for a new page on the site, I can't return to the original page. The is no working backup arrow. I have been using Explorer until now.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Kjweede said:
Can you give me help in safari? When I open a www site and then click on the URL for a new page on the site, I can't return to the original page. The is no working backup arrow. I have been using Explorer until now.

in the top left, next to the right arrow, there is 2 square box one overlapping the other with a number in it

that essentially is the number of tabs/windows you have open, it sounds like that when you opened the new link that is has opened a new tab/window, and because that is a new tab/window, the site it opened is essentially the first site, so won't be able to go back

landbuilder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad reboot

I have come to the conclusion having used an Ipad for less than a week that it is necessary to reboot the thing even more than my Windows PC. The system and/or apps supplied with the system are far from bug proof. Scary.

hfw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
landbuilder said:
I have come to the conclusion having used an Ipad for less than a week that it is necessary to reboot the thing even more than my Windows PC. The system and/or apps supplied with the system are far from bug proof. Scary.

Is it possible that you've installed some misbehaving softeware? I tend to try out a lot of apps, and have come across several that just don't want to play nicely. It's sometimes a little rough to figure out, because that app may or may not still be running or may not have cleaned up after itself. I would suggest saving any data you need then deleting all the non-original apps. They'll all be waiting for you at the App store. Then do a reset. Now install the apps you've deleted a few at a time. For me it's easiest to create a "sandbox" by putting their icons on a separate page. Play a while. If all goes well you can move those icons off the sandbox page and into their regular spot.

I continue to use the sandbox approach for new apps, using the rest of the normal functions as always. If everything behaves for a couple days, the newbies can be let out of quarantine.

Does this make sense?

Kmeand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a brand new ipad2 and am finding that safari freezes with grey screen at least four times a day. It is abysmally unreliable and I have no apps downloaded yet.

Is this a known problem and if so, is there a fix due. I have never seen a more appalling stability on any device- it is going back to apple if the only fix is "reboot the device"

Dfer777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used Safari 3 hrs a day for a over a year no problems. got gray screen yesterday,
made my first post today,method above worked great.

landbuilder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reboots

It could be bad apps but in any case I have to do what is called a reboot in the windows world. Safari did it. Nothing is perfect and especially computers. I have been messing with small computers since 1978 and have become a genuine expert in rebooting. Apple people always extoll how much better Apple is than a PC. I am not wedded to either and neither is perfect.

loglet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
greyed out ipad2

Thanks Barney, sorted. First time this has happened in over 2 months use. But it makes me anxious. Will it happen again and why? Should I get a different version of Safari? Until now my relationship with my ipad has been perfect!

I found a similar query to mine on another forum. Apparantly this issue is becoming quite common and is related to specific software version.

I did and it worked.

Barney

lis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
loglet said:
Thanks Barney, sorted. First time this has happened in over 2 months use. But it makes me anxious. Will it happen again and why? Should I get a different version of Safari? Until now my relationship with my ipad has been perfect!

Exactly the issue I'm having tonite.......for the first time in the year I've had mine....thanks!!!

Luke750

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

I did and it worked.

Barney
Thank you very much for this tip. This solved the same problem for me. Luke

Most reactions

Latest posts