What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari for Mac/Windows..i love it..do you?

Safari web browser

• I hate Safari

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I did not know i can choose browsers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
extensions i enjoy with safari, with more to add.

youtubewide
exposer
keepvid
itubeX
clicktoplugin & clicktoflash
1password
bing highlights
youtube5
adblock
hide images
better Facebook
media center

https://extensions.apple.com/

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
do you update your 1password extension?
mine is 3.8.5

I'm a risk taker. I've got it set to update automatically. 3.8.5 here too. The only other extension I have is Ghostery. I turned it off after a short while of trying to manage all the sights; deliberate ignorance is a lot less stressful. ;)

OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ClickToPlugin Brings AirPlay Support to Safari for Mac

ClickToFlash
, the popular plugin to block Adobe Flash content in Safari and make videos play in higher quality through HTML5, had to go through a series of changes after Apple released Safari 5.1, which dropped support for WebKit Plugins. Those of you who use ClickToFlash on a daily basis may have noticed that ClickToFlash for Safari 5.1 recently got a new home, and it’s been developed by Marc Hoyois as a Safari extension called ClickToPlugin.
Marc Hoyois actually offers both ClickToPlugin and ClickToFlash rewritten as a Safari extension — the former is simply a broader version of ClickToFlash that doesn’t stop at Flash content, but prevents Safari from launching a variety of plugins, including Facebook Video Calling and Java. The same functionality of ClickToFlash is still there, only it’s been split in two versions depending on what you need (if you only want to block Flash, get the new ClickToFlash extension) with a new settings page. As usual, the extension replaces content with a placeholder that doesn’t load automatically and, when possible, allows for a direct plugin-to-HTML5 conversion that, in the case of YouTube, will allow you to load a video’s source in higher quality. ClickToFlash/ClickToPlugin comes with several preferences to tweak and support for many video websites — you should check out thecomplete list of features and screenshots of the settings at the developer’s website.
An update released earlier this week for the ClickToPlugin/ClickToFlash extensions adds a feature Mac users have been requesting since the introduction of iOS 4.2 last year — AirPlay support in Safari for Mac. While AirPlay had been enabled first in Apple’s iOS apps, then the Mobile Safari browser and third-party apps, Mac users were only given AirPlay support for audio in iTunes, but nothing related to video streaming on OS X. A number of hacks and utilities surfaced to send Mac video to an Apple TV or AirPlay receiver and even turn a Mac into an AirPlay-compatible device, but there’s never been a way to easily select a video in the browser, and instantly beam it to an Apple TV with the click of a button.
The latest ClickToPlugin adds exactly this feature in combination with its built-in HTML5 video recognition and a second utility available on Marc Hoyois’ website called Media Center. Version 2.5.2 of Hoyois’ extension adds a new “AirPlay” option in the HTML5 media player (the one you get if you, say, decide to replace Flash content on YouTube with HTML5 video), enabling you to send video to an Apple TV on your network. The Apple TV’s hostname or IP address needs to be specified in ClickToPlugin’s settings, but it’s set by default to apple-tv.local, which is what Apple gives you with an Apple TV out of the box. The default hostname worked for me and found my Apple TV (connected with WiFi first, then via Ethernet to my AirPort Extreme).

Once ClickToPlugin is set to fetch HTML5 video instead of Flash (you can optionally choose a default resolution — I picked 720p) and the Apple TV is configured to accept incoming AirPlay streams (the extension has support for AirPlay passwords, too), you’ll be able to try AirPlay in Safari by opening a YouTube video, and choose AirPlay from the source selector on the top left. If your settings are correct, the video should start playing on your Apple TV.
Media Center works in conjunction with the latest ClickToPlugin in that it adds a contextual menu item to links and HTML5 media to download a video file, open it in QuickTime, or send it to an Apple TV via AirPlay. Some of these functionalities are already provided by ClickToPlugin, but I like Media Center’s AirPlay action on right-click and, more importantly, the toolbar button that allows you to stop a a video from being streamed to the Apple TV.

In my tests, ClickToPlugin and Media Center have been fairly reliable, streaming 720p content from YouTube to my Apple TV, although I’ve experienced some connection drops (the video would stop playing after a few minutes on the Apple TV) and errors with the Vimeo website. I need to mention, though, that I’m running OS X, Safari and Apple TV beta software, so that might be the culprit. Even with these betas (OS X 10.7.2, Safari 5.1.1, Apple TV Software beta 6), ClickToPlugin’s AirPlay support worked fine most of the time, and I’m sure optimizations for the new OS and Safari will be available once Apple publicly releases the updates. I’ve also noticed you don’t have to keep a tab open after the video starts playing with AirPlay, but Safari can’t be quit or you’ll lose the AirPlay stream.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see native AirPlay support by Apple in a future version of Safari for Mac (or, even better, systemwide AirPlay support on OS X), but right now, ClickToPlugin and Media Center provide an interesting solution for those who want to comfortably enjoy video from their web browser on a widescreen TV. The extensions surely need some work and refinements, and it would be great to see them land on Chrome someday (if it’s even possible, I don’t know).

Go download ClickToPlugin and Media Center on Marc Hoyois’ website.

Last edited:
OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Things are gonna change soon.

Safari's Browser Share Tops 5% for the First Time

Apple's Safari web browser has topped 5% of total market share for the first time, reports Net Applications.

Safari accounted for 5.02% of global browser usage for September, notes AllThingsD.

The Mac itself now accounts for 6.45 percent of Web access worldwide, rising from just over 6 percent in August (the first time that Apple's computers had accounted for that level of Web usage). Apple typically gains in September, Net Applications said, pointing out it marks the start of the back-to-school season.

Apple's operating system market share has reached 13.7% in the U.S; however, Windows still accounts for 92 percent of the global desktop market.

The most popular browser was still Internet Explorer with 54% of the market, followed by Firefox with 22% and Chrome with 16%. Despite making significant improvements to their browser, IE has dropped in popularity for the seventh month in a row.

59364-500.png

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes very interesting thread Poser. I will be looking into everything you've suggested. This is really my first introduction to Safari. I did buy another browser for the iPad as I wanted tabs, but find myself using safari all the time now. On my MacBook pro, I struggled with it, until I found the Command T option. I am enjoying it so much more now and will even more after I look into all your tips. Thanks

OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my MacBook pro, I struggled with it, until I found the Command T option.

well i don't use command T, i just added the "new tab" in my toolbar, and when tabs are opened, you just double click on the empty space, and a new tab will appear.

SafariCustomizeToolbar.png

OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...................................................................................................
features_title_20100607.png

..................................................................................Learn about the 250+ innovative features available in Safari 5.1.........................................

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, there is the plus to the right that opens a new tab. You can right click anywhere in the tab bar and select New Tab. Or my favorite, just right click on the link I want to follow and choose Open Link in New Tab. That's providing you didn't set the preferences to always open a link in a new tab.

Lately, with Lion, I find I don't always bother with a new tab. You can use a one fingered swipe (sideways) on the Magic Mouse to move back and forth in history.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gees I'm impressed now. Thank you poser and Twerppoet Just did what you both suggested. Just brilliant.
I have Lion, love the swipe. I really need to learn more about my MacBook pro, been spending too much time on the iPad. Thanks so much

OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lately, with Lion, I find I don't always bother with a new tab. You can use a one fingered swipe (sideways) on the Magic Mouse to move back and forth in history.

what is that gesture called, i don't recall seeing such a gesture for the trackpad?

if you don't have a trackpad, you are missing out on a lot of gestures!!!!!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's the same as the two finger swipe for turning pages on the trackpad, only you only need one finger on the mouse.

OS X Lion: About Multi-Touch gestures

I've got a 27" iMac. I find the mouse more efficient for clicking around on that kind of real-estate. That big trackpad Apple sells would probably do a very nice job too, but I'm too cheap to buy it without more reason than a few guestures, no matter how cool. ;)

OP
Poser

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's the same as the two finger swipe for turning pages on the trackpad, only you only need one finger on the mouse.

OS X Lion: About Multi-Touch gestures

I've got a 27" iMac. I find the mouse more efficient for clicking around on that kind of real-estate. That big trackpad Apple sells would probably do a very nice job too, but I'm too cheap to buy it without more reason than a few guestures, no matter how cool. ;)

oh ok, history threw me off... i have it set that way(kinda), but with a little twist, same as option shown, i can page flip with 2 fingers, or normally with 3(by choosing both).
content

although i have a macbook air, i have an apple trackpad and keyboard for no reason....i use the keyboard with my apple tv now(works great..controls it too). But i got them for when i wanna hook up my macbook air with the hdtv(hdmi), i can operate from the couch(wirelessly BT), the trackpad is better for couching, cause you can just touch to move cursor, instead of a mouse on the couch.

and when iOS 5 drops with full mirroring for the iPad to hdtv, they both might come in handy for that too.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hadn't even gotten around to seeing what my gesture options were. Seems I could change it to two fingers if I wanted to, but since two fingers gets me your three finger mission control screen navigation, I think I'll leave well enough alone.

I am tempted by that big trackpad. I just can't quite justify it. Not when there are so many other toys I want.

Most reactions

Latest posts