Safari for Mac/Windows..i love it..do you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Poser, Oct 1, 2011.

?

Safari web browser

1. I love Safari

66.7%
  2. I hate Safari

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I prefer a different browser

33.3%
  4. I did not know i can choose browsers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I am a Mac user, and i chose to use Safari.... and when i did use windows, i ended up using Safari also.

We all know about Chrome, FireFox, Opera, IE9, etc.

Basically, i would like to know why you chose a different web browser for your needs, and why you enjoy using it?

Did you ever try Safari?

For those that do use Safari, why do you like it?

Do you have an Apple TV? Airplay videos from Safari to Apple TV....WoW!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

extensions i enjoy with safari, with more to add.

youtubewide
    exposer
    keepvid
    itubeX
    clicktoplugin & clicktoflash
    1password
    bing highlights
    youtube5
    adblock
    hide images
    better Facebook
    media center

https://extensions.apple.com/

~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Learn about the 250+ innovative features available in Safari 5.1.
    http://www.apple.com/safari/features.html#extensions
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I use Safari and I love it! I use to use Firefox, but then it starting freezing on me. I use Safari on my iPad and all my computers.
  3. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    ok, i see that you like safari, but what i am really trying to see here is, why???? ..... what functions do you like, that you think other browsers can't even provide?

was hoping for more PLAYERS....come on guys....you might be educated here, with things that you didn't know, and i have a couple to share.
  4. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I still use Safari as my main browser although I have eight other ones. The newer version that will be bundled with IOS5 looks promising. I'm really looking forward to the reader part where you can store text without adds.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    thanks for the reply, but I'm not talking about iOS safari, mostly Mac and some windows.

i know this is an iPad forum, but i believe everyone here have a computer. So I'm reaching out to them.
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Hey You! The newer version with iOS5 does look promising! What is the reader part, Ivan?
  7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    You title asked if we "love it" Asked and answered. Don't really care much why ~ never thought about it, I guess.

Good luck with this poll!:)
  8. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    im gonna let him answer for iOS5.

but the desktop version of safari already have/had reader, and it is handy!!!

[​IMG]

Safari presents a Reader button in the Smart Address Field. Click the button and the article appears without distracting content. You can also zoom, send the article using Mail, and print from the heads-up display that appears in Reader when you hover over the bottom of an article.

check it out....click reader when browsing that link.

The Strenuous Relationship Between Apple And Facebook

9. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    ok lets get you customizing your safari toolbar, where you add stuff(extensions), that you added(most auto-add themselves).

[​IMG]

basically adds icons like these

[​IMG]

this screen is what you use to add more icons to your toolbar, by dragging them to wherever you want them placed.
    out of that list, i use new tab, zoom, downloads and 1password a lot, i have way more, not shown in this screenshot.

[​IMG]
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,184 / 1
    It doesn't do the most cool things. It's not the fastest. It's not even the most compatible. But what it does is pretty much everything I need and more, and it stays out of my way letting me browse without interruption. Well it did until I added the 1Password plugin. Now it occasionally demands my attention, and it's surprising how annoying I find that when I did need or want the feature to appear.

One feature that is important to me is that the bookmarks sync automatically with the iPad version (MobileMe required) None of the others do.

All in all, it's probably momentum. I've been using Safari for a long time, and don't see a reason to switch to other browsers for incremental speed improvements or features I don't want. I do have Chrome and Firefox loaded and up to date incase I need them, and it happens. Not often though.
  11. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    my screenshot looks like this, sorry about that colour, was fooling around, but notice the toolbar with extra icons....that adds functionality.

[​IMG]
  12. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,184 / 1
    My Safari setup is much simpler, but I make up for it with a cluttered workspace. iTunes is also running on another screen.

[​IMG]
  13. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    these browsers are old(i know), but the only screenshot i could find for now.....but pick out which one looks the cleanest.
    chrome is not in the line-up.... newer versions are IE 9, FF 8, safari 5, opera 11.

[​IMG]
  14. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I should have known that Safari would sync bookmarks with its iOS sibling. FWIW, both iCabMobile and the Mercury browser have implemented Firefox Sync recently though I have not tested them. I mostly use Firefox on the desktop (Windows) because of the extensions/addons but also like Chrome and Safari.
  15. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    do you update your 1password extension?
    mine is 3.8.5
  16. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    extensions i enjoy with safari, with more to add.

youtubewide
    exposer
    keepvid
    itubeX
    clicktoplugin & clicktoflash
    1password
    bing highlights
    youtube5
    adblock
    hide images
    better Facebook
    media center

https://extensions.apple.com/
  17. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,184 / 1
    I'm a risk taker. I've got it set to update automatically. 3.8.5 here too. The only other extension I have is Ghostery. I turned it off after a short while of trying to manage all the sights; deliberate ignorance is a lot less stressful. ;)
  18. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    ClickToPlugin Brings AirPlay Support to Safari for Mac

[​IMG]

ClickToFlash
    , the popular plugin to block Adobe Flash content in Safari and make videos play in higher quality through HTML5, had to go through a series of changes after Apple released Safari 5.1, which dropped support for WebKit Plugins. Those of you who use ClickToFlash on a daily basis may have noticed that ClickToFlash for Safari 5.1 recently got a new home, and it’s been developed by Marc Hoyois as a Safari extension called ClickToPlugin.
    Marc Hoyois actually offers both ClickToPlugin and ClickToFlash rewritten as a Safari extension — the former is simply a broader version of ClickToFlash that doesn’t stop at Flash content, but prevents Safari from launching a variety of plugins, including Facebook Video Calling and Java. The same functionality of ClickToFlash is still there, only it’s been split in two versions depending on what you need (if you only want to block Flash, get the new ClickToFlash extension) with a new settings page. As usual, the extension replaces content with a placeholder that doesn’t load automatically and, when possible, allows for a direct plugin-to-HTML5 conversion that, in the case of YouTube, will allow you to load a video’s source in higher quality. ClickToFlash/ClickToPlugin comes with several preferences to tweak and support for many video websites — you should check out thecomplete list of features and screenshots of the settings at the developer’s website.
    An update released earlier this week for the ClickToPlugin/ClickToFlash extensions adds a feature Mac users have been requesting since the introduction of iOS 4.2 last year — AirPlay support in Safari for Mac. While AirPlay had been enabled first in Apple’s iOS apps, then the Mobile Safari browser and third-party apps, Mac users were only given AirPlay support for audio in iTunes, but nothing related to video streaming on OS X. A number of hacks and utilities surfaced to send Mac video to an Apple TV or AirPlay receiver and even turn a Mac into an AirPlay-compatible device, but there’s never been a way to easily select a video in the browser, and instantly beam it to an Apple TV with the click of a button.
    The latest ClickToPlugin adds exactly this feature in combination with its built-in HTML5 video recognition and a second utility available on Marc Hoyois’ website called Media Center. Version 2.5.2 of Hoyois’ extension adds a new “AirPlay” option in the HTML5 media player (the one you get if you, say, decide to replace Flash content on YouTube with HTML5 video), enabling you to send video to an Apple TV on your network. The Apple TV’s hostname or IP address needs to be specified in ClickToPlugin’s settings, but it’s set by default to apple-tv.local, which is what Apple gives you with an Apple TV out of the box. The default hostname worked for me and found my Apple TV (connected with WiFi first, then via Ethernet to my AirPort Extreme).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once ClickToPlugin is set to fetch HTML5 video instead of Flash (you can optionally choose a default resolution — I picked 720p) and the Apple TV is configured to accept incoming AirPlay streams (the extension has support for AirPlay passwords, too), you’ll be able to try AirPlay in Safari by opening a YouTube video, and choose AirPlay from the source selector on the top left. If your settings are correct, the video should start playing on your Apple TV.
    Media Center works in conjunction with the latest ClickToPlugin in that it adds a contextual menu item to links and HTML5 media to download a video file, open it in QuickTime, or send it to an Apple TV via AirPlay. Some of these functionalities are already provided by ClickToPlugin, but I like Media Center’s AirPlay action on right-click and, more importantly, the toolbar button that allows you to stop a a video from being streamed to the Apple TV.

[​IMG]

In my tests, ClickToPlugin and Media Center have been fairly reliable, streaming 720p content from YouTube to my Apple TV, although I’ve experienced some connection drops (the video would stop playing after a few minutes on the Apple TV) and errors with the Vimeo website. I need to mention, though, that I’m running OS X, Safari and Apple TV beta software, so that might be the culprit. Even with these betas (OS X 10.7.2, Safari 5.1.1, Apple TV Software beta 6), ClickToPlugin’s AirPlay support worked fine most of the time, and I’m sure optimizations for the new OS and Safari will be available once Apple publicly releases the updates. I’ve also noticed you don’t have to keep a tab open after the video starts playing with AirPlay, but Safari can’t be quit or you’ll lose the AirPlay stream.
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see native AirPlay support by Apple in a future version of Safari for Mac (or, even better, systemwide AirPlay support on OS X), but right now, ClickToPlugin and Media Center provide an interesting solution for those who want to comfortably enjoy video from their web browser on a widescreen TV. The extensions surely need some work and refinements, and it would be great to see them land on Chrome someday (if it’s even possible, I don’t know).

Go download ClickToPlugin and Media Center on Marc Hoyois’ website.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Poser

Poser iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Things are gonna change soon.

Safari's Browser Share Tops 5% for the First Time

Apple's Safari web browser has topped 5% of total market share for the first time, reports Net Applications.

Safari accounted for 5.02% of global browser usage for September, notes AllThingsD.

The Mac itself now accounts for 6.45 percent of Web access worldwide, rising from just over 6 percent in August (the first time that Apple's computers had accounted for that level of Web usage). Apple typically gains in September, Net Applications said, pointing out it marks the start of the back-to-school season.

Apple's operating system market share has reached 13.7% in the U.S; however, Windows still accounts for 92 percent of the global desktop market.

The most popular browser was still Internet Explorer with 54% of the market, followed by Firefox with 22% and Chrome with 16%. Despite making significant improvements to their browser, IE has dropped in popularity for the seventh month in a row.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  20. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for the informative posts Poser.