What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revert from iOS5 ?

TomW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to revert from iOS5? Ok I know there are some nice bits like the camera button and notifications but I have lost the ability to print using print n share from my apps. I will need to buy a new AirPrint printer persuade my university/places that I visit to also do this. it could be deal breaker for all but recreational use of my iPad.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can if you are on beta and JB. Are you Jailbroken? If not ~ I don't think you can. Let's see what others chime in with.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In iTunes, if your iPad is connected, and you haven't done a synch in Os5, you might want to do a restore--assuming your last synch was in the previous version???

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I think you can if you are on beta and JB. Are you Jailbroken? If not ~ I don't think you can. Let's see what others chime in with.

Richsadams and I touched on this last night, my (limited) research suggests that you may be right. I can't remember what happened on my last update, but doesn't iTunes back it up right away? Eliminating your ability to restore to the previous version?

I've got my entire system backed up on time machine, I wonder if I could pull the old version out of that?
I haven't updated yet, still mulling these thoughts over. I've got iPad 1, so I'm not eager to loose my multitouch gestures unless we find away to go back for sure. (not JB'd)

OP
T

TomW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not reverted as yet. Found an alternative way round to print (send to WebDAV or email) then open in print n save. It is bit clunky for pages, keynote etc but will do for me.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible for you to revert back to 4.3.5 as Apple have not closed the signing window for it yet, but you will have to be quick. Apple will close the window on version 4.3.5 in the very near future.

If you want to restore back to 4.3.5 you need to download a copy of 4.3.5 for your iPad from our thread here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Once that is on your desktop, you will need to put your iPad into DFU mode following our guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

Finally, once in DFU mode, open iTunes and shift-click (windows) or option-click (osx) the restore button in iTunes and this will allow you to select the file you just downloaded onto your desktop.

iTunes will then revert your iPad back to 4.3.5. This process is perfectly safe - you cannot brick an iPad. It has nothing to do with jailbreaking. It simply reinstalls stock 4.3.5 onto your device.

PLEASE NOTE - This will only work for a short period of time. Apple will stop signing 4.3.5 very soon. When they do, there is no going back for you. Also, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESTORE YOUR BACKUP FROM 5.0. You cannot restore a newer backup onto an older IOS. The choice is yours, but please take on board the message about the backup!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i would say, people can use tiny umbrella and save their shsh blobs for 4.3.5..... that is another way of going back to 4.3.5 even when apple stop signing 4.3.5.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i would say, people can use tiny umbrella and save their shsh blobs for 4.3.5..... that is another way of going back to 4.3.5 even when apple stop signing 4.3.5.

and I would say, except iPad2 3G owners...

All of this is moot now anyway, as Apple appear to have just closed the singing window on 4.3.5.
I just requested a fresh set from Apple and was refused, so I assume that is it over.

Last edited:

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks f4780y, that was excellent info! I was too slow to try. "snooze, ya loose". But now I can happily sit tight, knowing my final options.

Most reactions

Latest posts