What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RetinaPad enables Retina Display iPhone graphics on your jailbroken*iPad

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RetinaPad enables Retina Display iPhone graphics on your jailbroken*iPad
by Samuel Gibbs on March 16, 2011 at 05:00 AM

retinapad.jpg

Have you ever wished your non-universal iPhone apps looked better on your iPad than the built-in pixel doubling can manage? Well thanks to a clever little jailbreak tweak called RetinaPad, now they can. Most recent iPhone apps come equipped with Retina display graphics for use on the iPhone 4; what RetinaPad does is allow the iPad's pixel doubling system to use the Retina display designed elements instead of the standard resolution graphics, significantly increasing the quality of the on-screen display.

The $3 app is incredibly simple to use too, just buy the app and install through Cydia using a repository of your choice. You'll have to reboot Springboard, but once done you'll get a dialog like the one above with the option to enable use of the Retina display graphics or leave it as standard. If you choose to enable use of the high-resolution elements, all you have to do is close the app from the multitasking bar and launch the app again.

It's a simple utility providing a really great facility that should have been built into the iPad by Apple itself. While some apps aren't going to benefit from the enhanced resolution elements -- apps like games, or those that rely on the on-screen keyboard come out a lot clearer and better looking.

So if you're an iPad user that still relies on iPhone apps that haven't got iPad versions yet, and have a jailbroken iPad, then RetinaPad is certainly worth checking out for the price of a cup of coffee.

RetinaPad enables Retina Display iPhone graphics on your jailbroken iPad

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to say that RetinaPad is very good. It's amazing how clear the iPhone app for Facebook comes through. It's virtually crystal clear.

IMNSHO, it is much better than FullForce, which I did try - and immediately uninstalled ... blech! It really mucked up my iPhone apps.

Marilyn

MK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog22.co.uk
Absolutely fantastic.. Just had to come back and say this has to be my favourite hack on my iPad so far.

I'm a Bejeweled addict and have been playing it on my ipod touch and was so looking forward to the iPad experience but sadly it's only a iphone app so it looks pretty bad on the ipad at x2 but no more with retinapad, it's not quite upto iPad native app standards now but it's certainly more playable.

Most reactions

Latest posts