What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RetinaPad... plus

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In another thread, RetinaPad was mentioned, so I took a look. That's good. But now, I'm wondering if there is a similar app that will allow the displaying of those iPhone app displays in the Landscape Orientation.

I have a good app for measuring distance on a map - Map Ruler Touch from the App Store - which displays at the proper resolution on the iPad, but in the Portrait Oriention Only, which I very seldom am in. It's funny, but when I first start the app (being in the Landscape Orientation), it displays in landscape (and looks good and proper), but only for an instant... then flips sideways. Fooey on that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry Brian. This is an often asked for tweak, but it has yet to materialise... You can't use iPhone apps in landscape @ 1X as things stand today.

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all,

It is an iPad question, and the app was listed as being compatible with the iPhone, iPod, AND iPad. The display of this app on the iPad is not at all like the iPhone-only apps being displayed on the iPad screen... it is actually of the correct full-screen resolution for the iPad, just that it won't turn to display in Landscape mode. Only a little bit of a bummer, but annoying just the same.

I wrote to the company (developers) but did not ever get a reply - which is so often the case. Oh well. I'd hate to admit how many apps I've purchased that didn't turn out at all as I originally conceived. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's funny, but when I first start the app (being in the Landscape Orientation), it displays in landscape (and looks good and proper), but only for an instant... then flips sideways. Fooey on that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I have the Dilbert app, and it does the same thing. It opens in landscape then quickly goes to portrait. I found
that if I double click the home button, it will open the Fast App Switcher, but it will also switch the app back to
landscape. Then, if i touch the screen, the Fast App Switcher disappears, and the app is still in landscape. Perhaps your app will do the same.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which orientations the application supports on the iPad is entirely up to the developer of the App. If they choose not to implement a portrait mode there is nothing you can do to enable it I'm afraid. :(

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you not lock the orientation it's in as soon as the app is opened?

Most reactions

Latest posts