What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Resolution For iPad 2? Possible Retina Display?

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLmBCKF06BM[/ame]​

News is coming in now with an update to the iBooks app, which has images with x2 iPad 1st Gen resolution. The x2 have a resolution of 2048x1536, with the iPad currently having a resolution for 1024x768. Last year when the iPhone 4 was released with the Retina display, some thing was done with the apps, they doubled in size of pixels. Apps that do not support the Retina display, run a x2 size on the iPhone 4. This update to iBooks shows that Apple might be getting ready for the release of the iPad 2 and slowly adding image support to their non-stock apps. Could the iPad 2 still have a chance of getting a Retina display? At least we know that we'll have one nice looking display in this years refresh.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the iPad 2 actually comes with a native screen resolution of 2048x1536 I'll eat my shoe.

That would be ridiculous, way above 1080p on a 10" screen? Ever heard of complete overkill? You only have to destroy a zombie's brain to kill it, you don't have to dismember it, grind it up in a wood chipper, blend the leftovers, and feed it to wolves. There is only so much resolution the human eye can perceive at certain distances, and no one can perceive that much resolution from that distance. Besides there isn't even any video content to take advantage of that resolution available on iTunes or anywhere commercially.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better have some tasty shoes handy just in case! lol

I completely agree that would way more resolution than necessary. While I wouldn't put it past Apple to do something like this in the future, I totally don't see this occurring with the second generation iPad either.

2048x1536 on a 9.7" screen would be rediculous and far beyond what is found on 17" MacBook pros with the HD antiglare displays, considering the pixel density needed for a screen nearly half the size of the mbp17.

2560x1440 resolution is capable on the 27" iMac and Cinema Displays, but nearly 3 times the screen size. I'm not saying that this kind of resolution is impossible on a 9.7, but highly improbable for anything commercially released in 2011.

I love the zombie analogy by the way!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason I can see Apple doing something like this is to try and squash the competition that is looming right around the corner. Apple can be fairly aggressive when it comes to holding onto a lead in the market. I'm not sure about such a high resolution, but for some reason I think the iPad 2 will be more than just an incremental upgrade.

If they do bump uo the resultion, does that mean we will have to start buying HD2x apps at 4x the price of the iPhone apps??

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1536 x 800, 4x resolution plausible

iPad 2 Retina Display evidence mounts, this time a .png of wood is to blame
By Paul Miller posted Jan 17th 2011 5:50PM

So, we heard from our source that the iPad 2 would have a "super high resolution" Retina Display, we heard from AppleInsider that the iPad 2 is getting around 4X the graphics performance of the iPad, and of course there's the fact that the iPhone 4's Retina Display offered a pretty impressively painless upgrade path for developers -- an iPad 2 with a 2048 x 1536 screen is starting to sound less and less like the crazy dream of naive fanboys.

But wait, there's more! A .png has been found in the iBooks 1.2 source files, dubbed Wood [email protected]. It's sized at 1536 x 800, while the old and busted Wood Tile.png in iBooks 1.1 was 768 x 400 -- that's 2X in each direction, or 4X the pixels, for anyone who's counting. Incontrovertible evidence? No, but we want to believe.

iPad 2 Retina Display evidence mounts, this time a .png of wood is to blame -- Engadget

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they use this screen, it would be a miracle for them to keep the $499 price tag. I think the next closest thing in screen size would be the 1080p 13" Sony Vaio Z which is a $2000 laptop.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of power would a screen like this use? And the price would have to increase at least a minimal amount right? Wouldn't it be much cheaper for them to keep the same resolution and just add a USB port to impress us users?

The only reasons I dont see this being true is that its ridiculous and it doesn't leave much improvement room for Apple for the iPad3. Apple is gonna be fighting for the tablet market like crazy come 2012, and I can't imagine their big draw being a USB port on the iPad 3.

Jackleihua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.dvd-to-ipad-mac.net
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7.8 磅</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:SpaceForUL/> <w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth/> <w:DoNotLeaveBackslashAlone/> <w:ULTrailSpace/> <w:DoNotExpandShiftReturn/> <w:AdjustLineHeightInTable/> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:普通表格; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> yeah, I completely agree with your views, as is known to everyone, with the growing number of ipad owners, ipad is becoming more and more popular all over the world! it is already a trend!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Reading blogs like Daring Fireball and Techcrunch this morning, the consensus seems to be that the new screen will be better but doubling very unlikely.
Logical if you want apps to run smoothly like the iPhone/iPad transition, but battery and hardware demands make it very doubtful. Probably 1280x1024.

Shame as I love the thought.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also remember that the added resolution requires much more processor and graphics processing. So to take advantage of this insane resolution Apple would have to make the iPad MUCH more powerful.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember that is not double the resolution, that is four times the pixels. Sadly they processing power isn't ready for a tablet device. That resolution will not be coming this year.

--
Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly they processing power isn't ready for a tablet device. That resolution will not be coming this year.

--
Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Where do I get a crystal ball like the one that you're using?

While I agree that it is improbable, it's impossible to know already what wil be or will not be coming this year.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
nobody could have predicted the iPad's success and as such, now they have to top themselves, as well as the competition. Should be interesting to watch :)

Most reactions

Latest posts