What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retina screen - only on iPad

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An interesting article discussed why we will not see the retina screen on other tablets for a long time. There are only three manufacturers that can make the screens, and only Samsung makes a serious attempt at a tablet. So why not a retina screen for the Galaxy Tab? First, even though Apple and Samsung can be going at each other in the courts, Samsung has several divisions that operate individually. So going against one division does not affect business with another. As a business, Samsung can commit to only provide Apple with the high resolution screens due to the extremely high volume Apple buys. Samsung needs the revenue so that they can support the division that is designing the AMOLED screens that Samsung is working into their products. AMOLED has several great features. Brighter, more vibrant colors, low power consumption due to not needing backlighting, and a much thinner design. AMOLED has a lot of potential for Samsung, and they are hitching their wagon to it. So why is Apple not embracing AMOLED? There are several reasons. First, the price is higher than the iPad screen, at least for now. And the screen loses brightness over time, amounting to 50% within five years. And finally, you cannot get AMOLED in the resolution that the new iPad gives us.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very interesting. Thanks Seadog

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An interesting article discussed why we will not see the retina screen on other tablets for a long time. There are only three manufacturers that can make the screens, and only Samsung makes a serious attempt at a tablet. So why not a retina screen for the Galaxy Tab? First, even though Apple and Samsung can be going at each other in the courts, Samsung has several divisions that operate individually. So going against one division does not affect business with another. As a business, Samsung can commit to only provide Apple with the high resolution screens due to the extremely high volume Apple buys. Samsung needs the revenue so that they can support the division that is designing the AMOLED screens that Samsung is working into their products. AMOLED has several great features. Brighter, more vibrant colors, low power consumption due to not needing backlighting, and a much thinner design. AMOLED has a lot of potential for Samsung, and they are hitching their wagon to it. So why is Apple not embracing AMOLED? There are several reasons. First, the price is higher than the iPad screen, at least for now. And the screen loses brightness over time, amounting to 50% within five years. And finally, you cannot get AMOLED in the resolution that the new iPad gives us.

But for iPhone 4 & 4s as AFAIK LG Display and Sharp are also the front runners for making the Retina Display Screen for Apple !

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can AMOLED be made at 1920 by 1080? If so, that is the likely screen size that will show up on Android tablets. Many will say that's plenty good enough since it supports 1080p movies, too. I don't think the lack of an Apple retina screen will slow down the Android competition any, specially if the screens look better and use less power. And I think many will not consider using a tablet for 5 years anyway. So, when you have Samsung, Google, Sony, Asus, Acer, etc, and all the other vendors buying these screens, they can, in total, order enough screens to justify the development.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For many manufacturers, the AMOLED screens will be all they want. Especially if the price comes down. I suspect that the IGZO screens hold more promise for the future, especially for Apple. Apple cannot afford to go with a screen that will not last over a few years. It will eventually become an issue in the media, and one that will get some negative press. Especially for Apple. The mystic of Apple cannot afford to be associated with a product that will not last. Interesting enough, most people have come to accept that issue with batteries, but batteries are replaceable, just expensive.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suspect that the IGZO screens hold more promise for the future, especially for Apple. Apple..

Why do you say that ?

The mystic of Apple cannot afford to be associated with a product that will not last.

There have not been any actual products with the IGZO screens ! So how did u reach to that conclusion ?

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The use of IGZO screens depends on whether or not they can get manufacturering quality and life expectancy to where Apple wants. They will not jump into the technology until it is proven. If after it undergoes all the intense testing required, it may be considered, but only if it can improve the Apple experience. Alternate screen may be years away. Look how long it took to go from the retina screen on iPhones to having them on iPads. With technology, you never know what is around the corner. Electronics have a finite life, but in most cases the physical and technical life expectency is often compatible.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have retina screen on iPhone and iPod touch, and Super AMOLED on Samsung Galaxy Note (a 5" phablet).

Head to head, I see differences in color saturation, but the screen quality seems otherwise comparable. On my devices, the skin tones are much better on the AMOLED screen; on the iDevices, they look washed out and unhealthy by comparison. The pinks and reds are a bit too bright on AMOLED, but they look washed out on my iDevices by comparison.

These are just three devices compared head to head, though. My experience with devices, including iDevices, is that color calibration can vary from device to device, even on the identical model.

If I were to pick between AMOLED and retina based on the comparison among my gadgets, I'd pick AMOLED hands down. But screen quality is not the deciding factor in any of my purchases of mobile devices.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have retina screen on iPhone and iPod touch, and Super AMOLED on Samsung Galaxy Note (a 5" phablet).

Head to head, I see differences in color saturation, but the screen quality seems otherwise comparable. On my devices, the skin tones are much better on the AMOLED screen; on the iDevices, they look washed out and unhealthy by comparison. The pinks and reds are a bit too bright on AMOLED, but they look washed out on my iDevices by comparison.

These are just three devices compared head to head, though. My experience with devices, including iDevices, is that color calibration can vary from device to device, even on the identical model.

If I were to pick between AMOLED and retina based on the comparison among my gadgets, I'd pick AMOLED hands down. But screen quality is not the deciding factor in any of my purchases of mobile devices.

I would beg to differ here, I have a Samsung Galaxy S-2 which has a Super Amoled Plus Display and My Brother has a iPhone-4S and when I compare the display of these two devices side by side, I feel the SGS-2 is definitely more bright but the colour reproduction and display is way, way much better on the iPhone-4s than the SGS-2. SGS-2 is just eye dazzling bright but no quality to colours. Infact as I mentioned in one of my other post like a lot of people here talking about the yellow Hue on their new iPad the SGS-2 suffers from a Greenish Hue to its display. I tell you it is Crappy. But on the other hand, Samsung Galaxy Note which only has the Super Amoled Display I thought the display was much better than the SGS-2 so Samsung has different displays for different devices.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would beg to differ here, I have a Samsung Galaxy S-2 which has a Super Amoled Plus Display and My Brother has a iPhone-4S and when I compare the display of these two devices side by side, I feel the SGS-2 is definitely more bright but the colour reproduction and display is way, way much better on the iPhone-4s than the SGS-2. SGS-2 is just eye dazzling bright but no quality to colours. Infact as I mentioned in one of my other post like a lot of people here talking about the yellow Hue on their new iPad the SGS-2 suffers from a Greenish Hue to its display. I tell you it is Crappy. But on the other hand, Samsung Galaxy Note which only has the Super Amoled Display I thought the display was much better than the SGS-2 so Samsung has different displays for different devices.

Not sure how you can differ on what I see on my devices, lol. I didn't say I spoke for every screen in the world. I posted specifically about my devices and their screens. You also appear to have missed my point that individual devices differ, even among the identical model. Maybe you could try rereading my message on a better screen, lol.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure how you can differ on what I see on my devices, lol.

Do I need to see a device to know what technology it is running on lol !

I didn't say I spoke for every screen in the world.

You were speaking for Amoled screens weren't u ?

I posted specifically about my devices and their screens.

Your Device and their screens ?? lol !

You also appear to have missed my point that individual devices differ, even among the identical model. Maybe you could try rereading my message on a better screen, lol.

When I said that about the New iPad having Different Displays some having the Yellow Hue and some not having those, People here convicted me for having dared to utter such a word ! lol

You were making a point for Amoled Screens you did not mention anything specific like a Amoled Plus or just a Amoled Screen :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do I need to see a device to know what technology it is running on lol !

You were speaking for Amoled screens weren't u ?

Your Device and their screens ?? lol !

When I said that about the New iPad having Different Displays some having the Yellow Hue and some not having those, People here convicted me for having dared to utter such a word ! lol

You were making a point for Amoled Screens you did not mention anything specific like a Amoled Plus or just a Amoled Screen :)

My post is there with specifics, and if you're still confused, I can't help you.

I don't judge screens I can't see; I can speak about screens on my devices and that's it. I've mentioned on various threads that my one of my iPad screens has a yellow tint, which has not bothered me, for instance. I don't judge other people's screens, because I've never laid my eyes on them, lol. But that doesn't seem to stop you.

On various threads, you've posted a lot of things that have made little sense. For instance, you posted on a thread where someone asked for help with activating the smart cover feature, and you gave the wrong answer, because you don't own an iPad, lol.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts