Remote aap?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by voodookills31, Mar 19, 2011.

1. voodookills31

voodookills31
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is there a remote app where I can access my pc's while I'm on my iPad. One where I don't have to be on the same network.

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Yes - there are several. One of the best known is 'GoToMyPC'. The app is free but you need to pay for the service. The advantage is that you can access your PC over WiFi or 3G from any iPad or PC anywhere in the world.

I've used this for a while and it works just fine. However, there are several other third party apps that other members have used and like too, so I should wait a little to receive some more recommendations.

Tim
    Scotland

3. j0yful

j0yful
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    teamviewer hd. the free version disconnects every 5 minutes though.

4. j0yful

j0yful
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    yes they have to be turn on and connected to wifi as well.
    with teamviewer, you have to download teamviewer on your pc or mac as well. and download app on your ipad.

5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I've not come across a way to remotely 'wake them up'. Not sure how that could be accomplished easily - i.e. without some additional hardware. Of course, too, you'd have to make sure that you've got the power settings configured correctly so that the PC never goes to sleep by itself because of inactivity. But, of course, you could switch the monitor off, which can be a major consumer of electrical power.

Tim
    Scotland

6. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    It is possible to remotely wake up a pc or laptop via WOL (Wake on LAN).

Basically what this does, is that when the PC shuts down, the Ethernet card stays powered on, waiting for a certain package (magic packet) to arrive. When this signal arrives, it turns on the PC. This magic packet can be send from any device via Internet.

The configuration is slightly complicated, but well worth it.
    To setup WOL, you will need to have the PC connected via Ethernet cable to the internet, turn WOL on in the BIOS settings, as well as turn on port forwarding in the router configuration. Most WOL apps will come with more detailed instructions, as mine are not that clear.

7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    That sounds like the solution - many thanks. I should have thought of that - a great idea! So, as you say, the only 'downside' is that the PC has to be connected by Ethernet - so a WiFi connected laptop wouldn't work. But I guess most people wanting to access their home PC will have a regular 'desk top' PC in mind and most all of those have the RJ-45 Ethernet socket and so could be connected to the ADSL router via a wired connection.

As you say, probably not a job for the faint-hearted!!

Thanks again for that suggestion.

Tim
    Scotland

8. Mac4Lfe

Mac4Lfe
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I use Logmein on my iPad to remote into my MacBook Pro connected by wifi. I use a program called Insomniax that keeps the laptop awake even when the lid is closed. I just keep it connected to the charger and close it. This has saved me many of times.

9. MadDragon1846

MadDragon1846
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I dunno if you know this, but 1 thing to be aware of, is some of the desktop apps don't work with windows "home". (you might not have the home version, but it's worth noting lol).

I have windows 7 home premium, and Splashtop worked straight away for me.

I have set it up to connect via the Internet as well as through LAN. And it seems to connect fine either way. (I say "seems" because I haven't tried using it away from the house, so I'm not 100% sure, even though it connected fine with both setups) =P

I'm not sure if it can wake your pc though, I'd do a bit of research if you need it to be able to do that.

*edit*
    It can wake your pc, I just tried it =)

Just start the app, then you'll be at a list of the computers you can connect to. Click the little blue circle with an arrow in it, on the pc you want to wake up, click "advanced", then click "wake this computer".

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

#9 MadDragon1846, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  10. saguaro

saguaro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I think a problem to be aware of in connecting to your computer from another network is encryption. As I understand it (and my understanding on this is far from complete), if you don't use some kind of encryption such as a VPN, your data is visible to amyone and this could lead to your computer being hacked.

This would not be a concern using, say, Splashtop on the same network.