What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to move into Apple territory

Kyndel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

This is my first post, and I am thinking about buying an Ipad Air

---

I am partially pro photographer and has quite a few cameras , some of which may cause image files specific names, so all the pictures called something I want instead of "DSC" or the like easier for me and perhaps also more protected against copying. .

Have so far been Windows user and have 2 very powerful W7 PC.s , but would like to have a tablet to display and show images , and after much study , I must say that the best for this is the iPad Air - I have bend me ;) ;) - and who knows if it will be the start of a new era for me ?

Have 2 questions .

After many hours of surfing - where I came close to dropping IPad Air and instead buy Surface 2 because it has a USB stick to just transfer images easily without having to use Itunes or install other programs that I have more than abundant in advance and I do not want more programs when I have tons to include imaging, and everything costs forces , and when I image processing massive files in several different programs , so I do not want this.

However, I found a solution with a free program :

Moderator Edit: No external links. Please read forum rules and follow them.

But now comes my first question :

1 ) Is it possible to transfer the same file names ? - 've read a bit around that it can be a problem and that you may need to change the names before they can - please see above where I change the names of the files , as case of cameras that can this.

Example: I have 3 Merrill cameras that actually has the same file names , but then you can change the file name so the files related to the camera, you can also change the file name of Nikon cameras,and I have done that with my 4 Nikon cameras.

Something completely different question

2) I was going for the WI-fi model, but then I have read that if you buy the model that can get on a mobile (cellular) , which I do not immediately need, but then you get a GPS with that can be used whether you are on a mobile broadband or not but just driving in the car = is it true ? that it does not sound right , but .... ? ?

Thank you

Best from Denmark

Kyndel

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) iPad does not like to show or work with image names, so you may be frustrated by this.
2) Yes, only the cellular version of the iPad has the GPS chip, so if you get the wifi version you won't be able to do Navigation when out and about, even if your app has its own maps loaded onto the iPad.

I find that I do not like the 16:9 aspect ratio of image display. For that, I prefer the more square 4:3 ratio of iPads. But if you enter the Apple world, you need to be prepare to do things differently. Apps own files on iOS, so they are not easy to get to outside of an app. The best plan is to get the apps you need to do what you want....thinking you can avoid apps will leave you frustrated. Apps on iOS are small compared to those running on Windows, typically speaking.

OP
K

Kyndel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for this clear answer about 1), and then I have to change all the file-names, or most of them, and that is not for me, I think.

I do not use 16:9 aspect ratio, I use 3:2 (or is it called 3:2 ?) and as you 4:3, but perhaps you are talking about other tablets, I do not own a tablet.

---

I thought I would automatically get a hint in my inbox, when I have started a thread, and there were answers, like here, that is what I use to do on other fora (why should you start a thread if you do not need answers ?), but I must find the place here to ask for it.

----

And thanks to Aq-OC

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome in respect to storage seagate offers a 2.5 1tb wifi drive that is battery powered that is an ideal solution for transferring images movies etc In addition there are several wifi USB/sdhc battery operated hot spot boxes. So small they fit in your pocket. These allow sd cards and USB cards to be used with iPads etc using apps provided by the developers. Look at ipadconnect forum as we have reviews of all current products

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much for this clear answer about 1), and then I have to change all the file-names, or most of them, and that is not for me, I think.

I do not use 16:9 aspect ratio, I use 3:2 (or is it called 3:2 ?) and as you 4:3, but perhaps you are talking about other tablets, I do not own a tablet.

---

I thought I would automatically get a hint in my inbox, when I have started a thread, and there were answers, like here, that is what I use to do on other fora (why should you start a thread if you do not need answers ?), but I must find the place here to ask for it.

----

And thanks to Aq-OC

I don't think you have to change the filenames...it's just that the names likely won't be seen. iOS seems to just show images without filenames. I have thousands of images and I usually let them get named based on date and sequence on my camera and they get renamed this way when I import them into lightroom. The images I want to show others I drop into a folder on my Windows PC and they show up on Skydrive. Then I just use the Skydrive app on my iPad to view the images. If I stored all my images on my iPad I'd have no room left very quickly, so I don't do that. Using cloud storage lets you get to your images from anywhere as long as you have internet access. Another thing is I have too many images to think about managing filenames. There is no fun it in and is, IMO, a waste of creative energy. I think this is another reason why iOS tries to shield users from filenames as much as makes sense. For images, IMO, it makes a lot of sense. For documents, you need a file name that is meaningful. For images, you just need the image. You can create Albums to group images in a meaningful way, however, and I find this way better than worrying about the filename of each image.

When you buy a new iPad, you now get iPhoto for free. In it, you can create a caption for each photo. There is an info button and if you press it, it shows the filename of the image along with other information. There are a lot of other apps that work with photos.

Most of the Android tablets that I know of are 16:9. I think the Windows Surface tablets are 16:9 too. To me, this aspect ratio is only good for watching movies, but terrible for everything else.

One thing to keep in mind is that Apple gives you a 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy. So, if you get an iPad and find you can't work with how it wants you to do things, you can return it.

OP
K

Kyndel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you have to change the filenames...it's just that the names likely won't be seen. iOS seems to just show images without filenames. I have thousands of images and I usually let them get named based on date and sequence on my camera and they get renamed this way when I import them into lightroom. The images I want to show others I drop into a folder on my Windows PC and they show up on Skydrive. Then I just use the Skydrive app on my iPad to view the images. If I stored all my images on my iPad I'd have no room left very quickly, so I don't do that. Using cloud storage lets you get to your images from anywhere as long as you have internet access. Another thing is I have too many images to think about managing filenames. There is no fun it in and is, IMO, a waste of creative energy. I think this is another reason why iOS tries to shield users from filenames as much as makes sense. For images, IMO, it makes a lot of sense. For documents, you need a file name that is meaningful. For images, you just need the image. You can create Albums to group images in a meaningful way, however, and I find this way better than worrying about the filename of each image.

When you buy a new iPad, you now get iPhoto for free. In it, you can create a caption for each photo. There is an info button and if you press it, it shows the filename of the image along with other information. There are a lot of other apps that work with photos.

Most of the Android tablets that I know of are 16:9. I think the Windows Surface tablets are 16:9 too. To me, this aspect ratio is only good for watching movies, but terrible for everything else.

One thing to keep in mind is that Apple gives you a 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy. So, if you get an iPad and find you can't work with how it wants you to do things, you can return it.

Some like the daughter, some the mother, I do not want this extra way in the sky, I just want to transfer perhaps 20 images to show somebody, for example for a wedding assignment, and then the other day perhaps 20 others after I have deleted the first and so on.

But you wrote:

"I don't think you have to change the filenames...it's just that the names likely won't be see"

......and this would be very fine for me, it does not matter if the names are not included, it is just to show, I can remember all my pictures and where they come from, so I do not need that, but are you sure ? = I have read that the Ipad will not transfer the images if "funny" names, and most of my pictures have "funny names"

--

Yes I know about the 14 days return, but I do not want this work to send back and waiting to get my money as I sometimes experience when sending something back, better be sure what you buy before you buy - it is my way.

--
And Yes you and Aq-OC are rigth the Surface is 16:9 = it is OK for landscapes and cityscapes and other horizontal pictures (but perhaps I have to crop them to that size, but that is OK for me), but it is certainly not good for portraits of persons, when turning to the portrait way, it will nok look fine.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please explain what "funny names" means. I've never had any problems transfering typical jpg images to my iPads.

OP
K

Kyndel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for asking.

Normally names are something about _DSC, but mine is GAN (my 4 Nikon cameras has the ability to set your signature) or P1M (Sigma DP1Merrill), P2M (Sigma DP2Merrill) P3M, so I can see the difference in those 3 cameras, which are very alike, only the focal length is different, then I sometimes write something to better remember it, e.g. _GAN.LastPP.jpg, or in Danish, that could be = GAN.sidste.test.øvreVolga.jpg (when I try different Post Porcessing), but I could skip the Scandinavian "ø" and live fine :eek:

...or similar "funny" things, just my own interpretation and therefore my own "funny" names, so I can see the difference, and I have 10 cameras, all are in use frequently, so I need to see the difference, and the next week I will also get the Sony RX1R with again a new file-name

I must say, that if this here can be solved in a way, that just means that I can not read the EXIF-data, that is very fine - or OK - for me, those pictures I will show are all some I exactly know how and when has been taken, because they will be the chosen one, and therefore I do not need it, I have 2 other pc.s working with PP, and I would be happy, because the Ipad Air has the very best screen of all - I have searched the net, and no doubt = It is the very best screen, but at the same time I do not want time consuming work - I am used to use an usb-stick and that goes smooth - easy, fast, no need for sky or anything.

---

Added:

"One thing to keep in mind is that Apple gives you a 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy"

Also if You have got an engraving ?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will have to do some testing on those names...it might depend on how you get them to the iPad.

I never do engraving any more. Your device will have less resale value if you do that. You can't get engraving in the Apple store, only if you order online from Apple. I would ask Apple if I were you.

OP
K

Kyndel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not think about selling it again, I have never sold a pc, only given it to others, familie or friends, but I can see, that this "tablet" could be different, thanks for the advice.

Thank you very much for testing it, then you have to test it from you pc or Mac and then to the Ipad Air without using Itunes (I think, because I do not plan to use Itunes, at least not for the moment)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can understand that this is not easy to say ?

I think it will probably be dependent on how you import the image. I just did a copy of several images with "strange" filenames using Photostream. I just dropped them into the upload folder and they appeared in the Photo app just fine. I'm too lazy to import images using a cable and/or the camera connection kit (CCK) or iTunes. So, any image I put on my iPad goes via wifi or the cloud. I use Photo Transfer app, as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts