What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is waiting for me at home (spring break starts thursday) so obviously I don't have apps on it.

Can I download apps now from the app store and just synch them to my iPad thursday? or should I just wait until I get my iPad and just download directly from there?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just make sure you're downloading iPad apps into iTunes, and not Mac apps onto your computer. ;)

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depending on the app and your internet connection it may take a while to download some of them. It wont hurt anything to start down loading some now.

Make sure you have the latest ver of Itunes other wise it may not even see your ipad2.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pre-baught several Apps, the iWork stuff, GarageBand, GoodReader for iPad, and a few others that I had already noted as being useful to me. Some of it I just brought over from my iPod.

I assume you don't have an iOS device yet? You can use iTunes to shop around for Apps. In many ways its actually easier to find stuff through iTunes then through the App Store on the iPad. Also you can get supplemental reviews of Apps before you buy. The screen shots are far to limited to fully research how an App functions.

OP
B

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for all the replies, you've all been helpful. And yes, this is my first IOS device and I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

I guess I just wasn't sure if the iPad is "based" in iTunes. Apple probably didn't anticipate that it would ever support a device like the iPad.

So when I synch the iPad it will be almost like updating the library on my iPod? (Relatively fast)

In any case, i'm off to download some apps

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind you are syncing over a USB2 cable, so data transfer will about as fast as any kind of transfer to USB flash or external hard drive. The first time you load content will take a while, especially if you are like me and dump 32 or so gigs worth of video into the thing.

Unlike your standard iPod (not the Touch as that is an iOS device), the iPad will have Tabs for Apps, Music, TV Shows, Movies, Books (audio and ebook), and Podcasts. From these tabs you can control what does and does not get synced to your iPad.

Right now I actually only have it managing my Apps on my iPad 2. I've turned it on to Manually Manage for movies and audio (I have not put audio on... that's what my iPod Touch is for :p).

Also be aware that in the Apps tab, when you scroll down you will find all the Apps that have internal storage that is accessible by iTunes. This is handy for things like GoodReader or Pages so you can transfer document files to and from the iPad by USB through iTunes if need be.

Another trick I've found in managing my iPod's music was to create a Smart Playlist that looks for the line "For iPod" in the comment section of music. I then sync just that smart playlist to get my master collection of music I want only one my iPod synced. If it comes down to it I may eventually do the same thing for my iPad, creating a new smart list looking for "For iPad" that way I can keep the two syncs distinct.

Most reactions

Latest posts