What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question.. ?

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the apps installed on an ipad affects its performance on ios 8?
My grandma has an ipad mini 1 and i have the mini 3. I have games installed like minion rush,subway surfers,zombie tsunami etc; and other apps
. Hers only have skype and facebook and some others which i dont recognize. What i notice is that at times when shifting back to home page is that hers moves a little smoother, mine has some drop frames(just on safari) we're both on ios 8.1.2.

I'm pretty confuse though. i don't know if my ipad is defective or not. How do i check..can anyone help? i dont have any other device that has the same hardware as the mini 3.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you regularly close out your apps from the open apps list? Double tap the home button to see all the "open" apps, and swipe up to close. These chew up memory if not closed and can cause your iPad to get sluggish.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They do take up space in memory, so a lot of open apps will effect memory when the RAM starts to fill up. It's not a matter of whether they are running in the background, only very few do.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When they're visible in the multitasking bar, but not open, they actually use just very little RAM, by far not as much as before, when they were opened. Apps that haven't been used for a while, are shut down by iOS automatically, even though they're still in the app switcher.

I've read quite a few times that unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Btw: Apple recommends to force close apps only if there are problems:
http://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht5137

Last edited:

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used to have to shut down my apps and reboot my gen 1 iPad to free up enough ram to play candy crush! Else it would crash every time I started the game.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have to shut down my apps and reboot my gen 1 iPad to free up enough ram to play candy crush! Else it would crash every time I started the game.
The above applies for more RAM than 512 MB.
Thanks, that backs up what I've said, and may be relevant to the OP ;)
There's a difference between force closing all apps on a regular basis, and force closing one app only when it misbehaves.

You're right when it comes to RAM usage of game apps, though. Some of them use a lot of RAM.

Last edited:
OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm still confused and still have the same question.

Most reactions

Latest posts