What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senior Prblems with use

PatNY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My neighbor is 82 YO and received an IPad mini 7' for Xmas.She doesnt know anything about it including turning it on.She asked for my help and I consented-but understand I dont have one so using my little skills from using a Kindle I am going to try and help her.She uses AOL as her provider (I dont know why)has been using it on her laptop for years.I have gotten this far powered up,taught her to use the browser to get to AOL and get mail.
Here are some of the questiond
1)Is the an app for AOL I did open an Itunes acct for her
2)Is there a way to save favorites when on a web page
3)Is there a way to move the tiles page to page
4)Can you use it as a reader
That is all I will ask now and will follow with other probs

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

1. There is an AOL app for the iPad. You can find it here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aol-mail-news-weather-video/id646100661?mt=8

2. This link explains how to add and access bookmarks (same as favorites) on the iPad:

How to Use Bookmarks on the iPad - For Dummies

3. To move the tiles (app icons) around, just tap and hold one for a few seconds, and it will start wiggling. Then tap and hold the one you want to move and drag it to the edge of the screen, and it should flip to the next page.

This explains it in more detail: How to Move iPad Apps - iPad Basics

4. You can. There are multiple bookstores you can access on the iPad.

There is of course Apple's own "iBooks", there is an app for Amazon Kindle and there is a B&N Nook app as well. There are more, but those cover the majority.

iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8

Kindle: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle-read-books-ebooks-magazines/id302584613?mt=8

Nook: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nook/id373582546?mt=8

OP
P

PatNY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help.If more ques arise I shall return(as McArthur did)Thanks again
Pat

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting about an 82 yo learning ipad. I teach some basic 'how to ipad' classes at our local senior center and I'm am impressed when 'little old ladies' come in and want to learn all about iPads! One is 86 and she wanted to learn 'everything that is on it'. (Her grandson had loaded it with games)

So there is still hope for us Geezers. But I might observe that 95% of my students are women. I guess it is still true that 'real men don't need directions' :)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
2. This link explains how to add and access bookmarks (same as favorites) on the iPad: How to Use Bookmarks on the iPad - For Dummies

Please don't take it badly, but I just want to tell the correct information that favorites are not completely same as bookmarks. If you want to access it from the Safari home screen, or directly want to go to it when on some other website save it as a favorite. Favorites is a subfolder within bookmarks.

image-2654417806.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also:
With iOS 7, Safari looks different. Search bar and address bar have merged, and when you tap the icon, this is what you get:

image-3081938400.jpg

Barbara34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nah, it isn't true that real men don't need directions. What is true is that us 76 yo women want to get it right the first time.

Most reactions

Latest posts