What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has experience this?(mini 2 or 3 users)

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought an ipad mini 3, 64 gb model on Powermac. It's brand new,sealed with warranty. The problem here is that i've been experiencing some lag in some ways when im using the ipad. Like when i'm rotating it on imessages, app store, or when i'm shifting from safari to home(using assistive touch) its only smooth on home and in apps..thouh somr apps still doesnt have the smooth rotation.

Also, there are times when i open the camera and i try to take a picture with it, the first picture doesn't have a shutter sound.

I just want to know if it also happens to people who're using the same device as mine..or atleast with same processor. I'm just a little frustrated because i expected to experience a snappy performance(though it is also snappy in some ways too) because it has the a7 with m7 coprocessor and it just came out(though i know that it has the same features as the mini 2) and its expensive enough for me. Plus given the fact that i have its on 64gb model and i barely put apps here( i only have 27 apps) i've already tried resetting its hardware by pressing the home and lock at the same time. Still the same. Its running ios 8.1.2 btw.

I guess the games are okay. Really fast, smooth and all.Idk if ios 8 is just too high already for my ipad or is this a hardware damage? I want to know so i can have it replaced with a new one.

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn on reduce transparency I found this helps make the rotation smooth.

I know that..but i want to know if my ipad functions like everyone else's cos it might be a defect or something.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you restored it from the backup of a previous iPad, give it a day or two to settle in. A lot of indexing and other stuff happens right after a restore, and can cause some lagyness.

The hard reset (hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears) can help as well.

In short, no, an iPad Mini 3 should be reasonably snappy. But it has the same processor and memory as my iPad Air (last years model), and it too was laggy for a about a day after the initial restore.

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you restored it from the backup of a previous iPad, give it a day or two to settle in. A lot of indexing and other stuff happens right after a restore, and can cause some lagyness.

The hard reset (hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears) can help as well.

In short, no, an iPad Mini 3 should be reasonably snappy. But it has the same processor and memory as my iPad Air (last years model), and it too was laggy for a about a day after the initial restore.

but i got this last week..and i already did the hard reset..somehow it is a bit laggy..a bit.(sometimes in games too..just once though)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What version of iOS is it running? If it is not on version 8.1.2, then upgrade. The earlier versions had several issues, including unexpected laggyness.

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im not really talking about a total laggyness..im just talking about the shifting from safari to home..something like that(sometimes) probably the sudden crunchy movement which i didn't expect from a7. its running 8.1.2 but the ipad is actually smooth when at home or in facebook/twitter. I'm just asking if its normal..especially in imessage/app store when rotating it isn't smooth but crunchy.

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you turn on reduce transparency? Mine is choppy when I rotate the
screen also but when I turn on reduce transparency it's smooth as butter.

OP
H

heylanceyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try what I suggested?
Again, sir..i just need to know if its normal on mini 3. yeah i tried it even before on my ipad 3 and it works good.( no animation) but it might be a bug or defect that i may have to replace it, that is why i need to know if its normal on ios 8..if its just like that

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, it is not normal. But it is also unlikely to be the hardware. It is new enough that you should still be within the 90 days of free tech support from Apple. I recommend you give them a call.

eddieg

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems the OP is mostly complaining about choppy rotation. There has been a lot of people complaining about this especially in spotlight search when rotating the screen with the keyboard it's very choppy. I found that if you turn on reduce transparency it makes the rotation very smooth.

Most reactions

Latest posts