What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about touchscreen at

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mom has an IPad Air and the touchscreen is not working and she said it worked this morning and also it has some cracks on it and I had a person I know work on it but he said fix it because it messed up after he worked on it and he refused to work on it anymore and I tried to restart it and nothing changed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, your post is completely confusing - first, concerning that the iPad 'worked this morning', what happened between the touchscreen working in the morning and then not working (i.e. drops or other damage, such as liquids)? Second, about the 'cracks', are these new, old, just happened, and how does the timing relate to the 'person' mentioned?

Third, who is the 'person' discussed? Is this a professional, a friend, someone that knows about fixing Apple devices? What is the timing between the events mentioned in my first paragraph vs. when the 'person' got his or her hands on your mother's iPad - cannot go much further w/o you clarifying your post - Dave :)

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I don't know what happened during the morning time when she used it before she went to work because it just sat on the bar from the time she left till the time she went home.
The cracks have been on there a while and I think sometimes it kept cracking.
The guy who worked on is a person I know and he has a store/shop and told me he could fix it and I took it back twice and he refused to do anything to it and first I took it back wasn't long after he said he fixed it in the first place

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First things first, punctuation is your friend, use it.

If the screen is cracked and not responding to touch , it needs to be replaced. Look for a reputable shop in your area, and get it done there.

I can't tell for sure but it seems that maybe the person in your post has already replaced the screen and it doesn't work? If that's the case, it's possible that the repair wasn't done properly. An iPad Air screen replacement is easy to mess up as the digitizer cables can get pinched if not folded properly. Look for a shop that has good feedback and stands behind their work.

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well we are getting her a new one for here birthday.
But none of that explains why the touchscreen worked in the morning but didn't work in the afternoon with nobody using it at all

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Was that before of after "the guy" worked on it? If it was before, and the screen was cracked, then the digitizer probably just failed due to the cracks. If it was after, then the cables could have been pinched during installation and failed over time. It's all guess work without having more info or the iPad in hand.

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was way after he worked on it and he worked on it last year and she put tape on it to cover the cracks and she watched the news from WBJ7 yesterday morning and she leaves it on the bar when she goes to work and I can't get any information for the IPad because the touchscreen isn't working and I don't have any idea how it will work in the morning but not work in the afternoon-evening if it's just sitting there not being used at all because I use my IPad not hers

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of the responses explain how the touchscreen works in the morning but doesn't work in the evening when she is at work it just sits still doesn't move or be used at all

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are overthinking it.

Your assumption is that because no one touched it, it couldn't break. That might be true of a block of wood or other, simple, chunk of matter; but electronics are active. The iPad is on. It may not be doing much, but it's is still doing stuff; electricity is flowing which means that stressed connections and circuits can fail.

The odds of it breaking by just sitting there are low, but not non-existant; espcially since it already had a broken screen. A broken screen means that the underlying electronics are no longer as protected as they could be.

It's also possible it broke the moment she set it down. Again, a broken screen means that the electronics under the screen are no longer as protected as they should be. It's also possible that your not-so-handy man left something a bit loose when allegidly repairing the iPad, and the small jar of setting it down finnished the job.

Or it may have finished breaking when you picked it up. Again, if the iPad has been abused (as this one obviously was), the cicuits may be on the verge of breaking at any time. Anything could finish the job.

You know, even cars have been known to not work the next morning, even though the seemed fine when you parked them last night. Especially a car that's been through a few rough experiences. iPads are considerably more complicated and delicate than a car.

If you don't find any of these ansers satisfactory, I have two alternate theories for you're consideration. Pick the one that makes you smile.

1) An Android using neighbor snuck into your house and used an AED (Automatic External Defibrillator) on your iPad. He will show up at your door next week with a sales brochure from Samsung. It's part of their newest ad campaign that pays commisions to everday Android users.

2) Apple's device oversite technician recieved a SOS from the iPad's distressed chips and send it an assisted suicide command. They also do this for obsolite devices. It is kinder, and cheaper, than piling them on an iceberg and setting them adrift.

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh I don't understand anything you saying here and none of it makes any sense either

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Huh I don't understand anything you saying here and none of it makes any sense either

Sometimes electronics break, even when you don't touch them.

Sometimes, if something is barely working, just the act of picking it up or setting it down can break it. The screen was broken and you've had it repaired by someone who, from the sound of it, wasn't qualified. Both of these thing could have left the iPad in a state where even a small shock would break it again.

Unless you are saying the screen cracked while it wasn't touched. That would be strange, but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about.

OP
C

Cooltwou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well all I know is that it was never moved from the time she went to work before 8am till after 5 pm

Most reactions

Latest posts