What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garageband problem or ipad2 touchscreen problem?

Summy73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i really home someone can help me. I'm trying Garageband and i realized that when i play the piano feature that allows to change intensity of sound if tapping the keys harder or softer, the sound is not so precise, most of the time they play soft sound on some key even if i tap hard or became louder after 2-3 time i tap. This is really bad because when i play is not so natural. Is this a software problem or hardware problem? What other test can i try?

For normal daily use the touchscreen works perfect with every application so it's very strange! Hope some expert can give me an explanation. Thanks!
Andrea

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The sound intensity feature of GarageBand is not controlled by the touch screen. Instead the accelerometers detect how hard the iPad was tapped. It is not very precise, and can be better or worse depending on how you've got the iPad propped up.

Try using the iPad on different surfaces and with different materials propping it up, like foam, or soft wood, etc. You may find one that works well for you, or not.

Also, if you tap on the keyboard icon at the far right, you can turn the Velocity control on and off. When it is on it appears at the left above the keyboard, and is labeled Velocity. Playing with this will adjust how the keyboard reacts.

Between the two you should be able to find a setting that works for you.

OP
S

Summy73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank u for your quick reply. Now i understand how it works.
For a moment i thought to send my iPad to Apple assistance.
I really like Garageband but this feature is not well implemented in my opinion even if i change different ipad positions.
Hope Apple can find a way to change this with future updates.

Are there any specific app. to test deeply accelerometers feature of the iPad?

Andrea

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No app that I know of. But if you adjust the Velocity control to the top setting, it does away with the feature for all practical purposes.

VelocityControl.jpg

Most reactions