Proud owner of an iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by ardchoille, Dec 1, 2012.

1. xTyler

xTyler iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    That's what I almost did too.

Sent from my iPad Mini
  2. Socalshocker

Socalshocker iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ya I bring mine to work and make all my patients hold it to see how light/thin it is ... Apple should send me a free one for all this advertising I'm doing for them :)
  3. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +218 / 1
    I wrote a small review of the wireless keyboard in use with the iPad mini. You can find the review here:
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/97664-ipad-apple-wireless-keyboard.html
  4. xTyler

xTyler iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
  5. dongeel

dongeel iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Believe it or not, I wrote a letter to Apple asking them to make smaller tablet when the first iPad came out. Needless to say, I waited more than 2 years to get the Mini. (I used a BlckBerry PlayBook in the meantime, but ditched it as soon as the Mini came out).
  6. jdelrizzle

jdelrizzle iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought me an iPad mini black 64 gb with AT&T, and well I love it, it's suppose to be for my wife, wink wink, any how it's a great device but it won't be replacing my iPad 3rd gen still have its a 32 gb with AT&T, and I do notice the lack of retina display, mostly when playing the game clash of clans. I thought I wouldn't notice it but I do!
  7. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +218 / 1
    I'll bet a lot of people did the same thing.. and that had an impact on Apple's decision to make the iPad mini.

Well, you have to test it, right? ;)
    I don't have any games installed, I might notice it if I were gamer.
  8. jdelrizzle

jdelrizzle iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, I didn't have to test it, I didn't do a side by side comparison, I simply just loaded the same game on my ipad mini and right away noticed the difference.
  9. george lewis

george lewis iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is my first post and may be on the wrong site for these questions, if so, please direct me. I have never had a iPad in my hands. I have a Windows laptop w/router which is a little clumsy while moving in and out of my recliner. I think I would like a small iPad (mini) for easy portability. I am on AOL, I do email, read the news, markets, type and print a letter to my wireless printer, etc. I just never tried games...but could. I have an iPhone 4 and love it as all do. Is there anything (reasonable) that I can not do with a mini that my laptop does...maybe a hard question, but my needs are very basic...

I am 80 YO, retired, love my laptop (wife has desktop) but want something I can pick up and lay down easily...thanks for any help.
  10. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +218 / 1
    Well, you can stick the iPad mini in a jacket pocket, it's small and very portable. On the other hand you would have to get used to an on-screen keyboard, it's much different than a physical keyboard. Thankfully, Apple's on-screen keyboard is very good at spell correction and word prediction. I went from a netbook keyboard to the iPhone 4S and found that I didn't have much trouble. I purchased the Apple wireless keyboard to use with my mini and now have a "netbook-type" setup.

I'm 49 years old and owned a desktop computer and a netbook prior to purchasing the iPhone 4S. I now have an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini and have given away my desktop computer and netbook. I do plan to purchase a MacBook Pro but only because I can't install a full copy of Photoshop on iOS devices - I'm a graphics designer and miss the full image editing apps. I'm the type of person that is more comfortable with the same, or nearly the same, operating system on all devices and that's why I'm moving everything to OS X and iOS - Apple products are just much more polished and stable than anything else I've seen.

It's just my opinion, but if you have a laptop and an iPhone, and are comfortable with them, there's not much need for an iPad mini unless you want one. We must use that which meets our individual needs. An iPad mini will definitely be easier for you when moving into and out of your recliner.

I would recommend going to a store and playing with an iPad mini for a bit, that will help you determine if the device is right for you.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  11. Clix Pix

Clix Pix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have been an iPad user since the first generation and have always loved my iPad, carrying it with me wherever I would go, using it extensively at home and when away from home. When the iPad Mini was announced I knew I'd be getting one, no question about that. Got a black 64 GB WiFi & cellular (AT&T) last week and am just tickled silly with the new little thing! Carrying it with me wherever I go now and she's so much lighter in weight, so much easier to tuck into a purse or bag.... I have all of the same apps on both my iPad 3 and the iPad Mini, with a few different things on the iPhone, and that works well for me. As for comfort and usability: the iPad Mini is great to use when seated comfortably in a chair or on a sofa, or when lying down or reclining somewhere -- the light weight and the smaller physical dimensions make it much easier to handle. @George Lewis: it sounds as though either an iPad Mini or one of the small Windows tablets would be just perfect for you! The tablet form factor is quite different from a laptop in that one does need to hold or support the device in some way, as opposed to having a laptop on your lap with keyboard and monitor both in positions optimal for use. One can type on the iPad Mini either by using its own keyboard or by using an external bluetooth keyboard. I find that I do just fine with the iPad's own keyboard and although I have the wireless BT keyboard, I hardly ever pull it out for use.

The iPad Mini is great for web-surfing, for email, for reading online newspapers, etc. It is also really fun for playing games! I especially enjoy playing Solitaire on my iPad Mini. One can also participate in forums such as this one, and can watch most (not all) YouTube videos, depending on the format. One thing which no iPad or iPhone has is Flash, so that any website or video which is Flash-based is not going to be accessible. That is becoming more and more of a moot point, though, as developers utilize more current options. The iPad Mini is great fun to use any time, anywhere, and can be easily tucked into a bag or even a large pocket, to take along when going out somewhere. One of my primary reasons for buying an iPad Mini although I already had the iPad 3 and an iPhone is that in spite of the smaller size it does what my large iPad does and is easier to read than my iPhone. The iPad Mini also has something really cool that is not included on older iPads or iPhones: Siri. A lot of people really appreciate that feature, as they can talk to their iPad and Siri will respond to questions or will do some simple tasks without the user needing to type anything.

As another member suggested probably the best way to decide if you would benefit from an iPad Mini is to go to a store -- either Apple Store or Best Buy, Target, AT&T, Verizon, etc. -- and handle one and play with it for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if once you've held one, you'd be bringing it home! :)
  12. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,649 / 1
    Congratulations on your new iPad mini! I've had mine for 3 weeks and use it for several hours per day. I take it out on most trips away from home.
  13. george lewis

george lewis iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the great feedback. I will go and play with them...I have both BB and ATT close by my home. Thanks again.
  14. Clix Pix

Clix Pix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You're welcome, and be sure to let us know what you think of the new iPad Mini! :)
  15. Talk2USoon

Talk2USoon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    <<<<<<<<<<

I'm confused by your statement that there is no Siri on iPad3 because that was one of the upgrades that came with iOS6 in September (timing of iOS6) - at least it is in the states, because I use it all the time.
    Here's a link that includes how you activate it: http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/20/enable-siri-ipad/
  16. Clix Pix

Clix Pix iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Sorry -- I should have made it clearer -- yes, Siri IS on iPad 3, also. It is on iPad 3, iPad 4, and iPad Mini, as well as on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. I don't use the program myself so that is one reason I neglected to mention that it is on iPad 3, since I wasn't really thinking about it all that much. Mea Culpa! For those who can enjoy it, Siri is really terrific!