What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini with Retina display is worth the upgrade!

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I sold my old black iPad mini that I had for a year. It was an amazing device, but I always felt like the display just kept it from being the Apple quality I've come to expect. Well after having it for a year I saw the iPad mini wRD in a Best Buy and I was hooked, had to have one. I obviously had to sell my iPad mini first gen at a loss and that bugged me a little but I made the mistake of buying the 64gb version. I got $350 for it though on Ebay. So I lost $175. I bought a black iPad mini wRD from Apple.com pickup in store and it had some blue backlight leakage at the very top of the screen. So I took it back to the store and got a white 32gb (black 32gb out of stock) and the screen is perfect, no light leakage whatsoever. White is very nice too!

I basically paid $175 for this upgrade and I can't even put a price tag on it I guess. I am so incredibly happy with this new screen. Every few seconds I find myself being amazed at the clarity and just thoroughly impressed. If you read a lot like I do, you eyes will thank you tremendously. Text can't get any sharper. Everything is snappier, games are so clear and still manage to be faster and smooth. This A7 chip is awesome and I have confidence I'll have this device for several years now.

So if anyone is on the fence still, I guess I'm here to convince you it's worth every penny. The best of both worlds. Just the most amazing tablet I've ever used and the iPad mini 1 is still the second best! I had several Google tablets before I finally realized Apple is best experience in the tablet market so I'm NOT a fanboy. $399 for the 16gb is a good deal IMO if you can live with that amount of storage (I can't). You're getting top of the line stuff, incredibly quality and Apple's excellent support, and app selection.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure why you are saying you lost $175...you had the tablet for a year....more like you paid about $0.5 a day to have that iPad for a year. Not bad.

How are the colors on the new mini?

OP
T

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah good point, I wasn't complaining about the money lost. The colors are fine in my eyes. On the cooler side for sure.

Callihan_44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally got down to best buy to look at one in person and the first thing I checked was how the text looked and yes indeed it is a major improvement, text really jumps out at you. I felt no noticeable difference in thickness of the device either. It felt a tiny bit snappier just flipping through apps on it. Reviews ive read says it does get as good battery life as the 1st one which is a bonus for me. Now to swallow the $500 price tag for the 32gb model.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I switched also , sold my mini 1 and got the rMini with cellular. What I really wanted was the cellular but I must admit I love the screen , I didn't expect reading on it would make such a difference to my eyes.

OP
T

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah the crisp text is the biggest noticeable difference in the retina screen. Its so awesome having so many pixels packed into this screen. It makes the device just feel complete and more Apple like than iPad mini 1.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My new mini IPad with Retina display was definitely worth the upgrade. Note: I called my old device "AC_OC's iPad mini". But since I still have it, I'm calling this one "AC_OC's mini iPad with Retina". :)

After all, now that the 9.7 and 7.9 inch devices have the same design, Apple could have called this device the "mini iPad" rather than the "iPad mini".

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wasn't planning on upgrading since I had just bought my cellular mini 3 months ago. Spilled some soup on it...upgraded to 128G model. Gotta say, I can't find anything bad to say about this thing. It's beautiful, runs much faster and of course retina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ckh98258

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too just upgraded from the Mini 1 which was with me for past one year. No doubt text reading is a great improvement and processor speed is noticeable faster, what troubling me was the speaker/volume issue. Hope Apple can fix it soon with the next firmware update (pray hard not hardware issue).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me too just upgraded from the Mini 1 which was with me for past one year. No doubt text reading is a great improvement and processor speed is noticeable faster, what troubling me was the speaker/volume issue. Hope Apple can fix it soon with the next firmware update (pray hard not hardware issue).

Hey, I was noticing on the way to work yesterday that the volume was low and the speakers sounded a bit tinny. What's up?

ckh98258

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I was noticing on the way to work yesterday that the volume was low and the speakers sounded a bit tinny. What's up?

It's some known issue that many been complaining about in Apple Discussion Forum.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's some known issue that many been complaining about in Apple Discussion Forum.

I could not find much about that over there as they appear to be dive bombed with some junk posts. Useless.

ckh98258

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not say the volume on mine is very low at max, but it is noticeably lower than the same on my other two iPads. So, something is up. In every other way, this iPad is rocking my world!

I do agree with you this ipad retina really outshine the rest especially its new processing speed but when playing war/racing game the volume definitely plays a part.

Most reactions

Latest posts