What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with iPad2 - cannot set up mail - returns to Home screen

peteparts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been using iPhone 4 since it came out, on the road all the time.....love it. Just got an iPad 2 32 gig with 3G. Current thoughts are what piece of crap. Also have the older iPad with wifi only. does fine. Did the latest update and restore tonight on the iPad2. Constantly returns to home screen. Retrieves the same deleted emails. Cannot go to settings...email accounts to try to figure out whats wrong (locked out) seem to be able to go to all the other settings ok. Sorry Apple....selling my stock asap:mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been using iPhone 4 since it came out, on the road all the time.....love it. Just got an iPad 2 32 gig with 3G. Current thoughts are what piece of crap. Also have the older iPad with wifi only. does fine. Did the latest update and restore tonight on the iPad2. Constantly returns to home screen. Retrieves the same deleted emails. Cannot go to settings...email accounts to try to figure out whats wrong (locked out) seem to be able to go to all the other settings ok. Sorry Apple....selling my stock asap:mad:

I replied to your earlier post - try a power-off, power-on cycle to see if that let's you sort your email problems out.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several times....to no avail

OK - I moved these posts out of that Poll section to the Help in the hope you'd get a better response. I guess you've checked too that you don't have restrictions set on in 'Settings' where you can lock people out from setting up new email accounts.

Tim

Reaction score
There are several things to do:

1) Settings->General->Restrictions->Mail: Off (this will let you edit the mail accounts, you must have turned the setting on at some point)
2) Emails should not download multiple times. However, it is most likely caused by you setting the email account as a POP one. If you set it up as IMAP, or Exchange instead, it won't redownload deleted emails. Keep in mind, POP protocol is limited, it doesn't let the email account talk back to the server, to notify what happens with an email, so if you delete an email locally, the email server won't know about it. If you are unsure about this step, please post the email provider you are using.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can't get to your email account settings you've most likely got restrictions turned on. Check under Settings >> General >> Restrictions. If they are enabled you'll need the four digit passcode to make changes, but you'll be able to see if Account Settings has been disabled.

OP
P

peteparts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I checked restrictions, it is off. Tabbed over to the restrictions, but found that "mail" is not listed there. Did one more restore last night, which deleted all my apps and music. I had to, and was able to set up my first email account, which worked. I then restored all the music and apps, and now I can't get back into mail to set up my additional accounts. It also is closing screens again and going back to the home page. Email opens with just the one account but immediately closes and returns to home page. Open it again and I can delete recieved emails and send again. Opening other apps sometimes they close back up on their own and go back to the main screen. Such is my delema

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok one more strike and I'm out.

But I'm wondering about the fact that it worked before you synced all your apps back. No app from the Apple Store should cause this kind of trouble, but, you could try removing any apps that don't have good solid review, then adding them back one at a time. Testing after each.

It would not hurt to call Apple at this point. They will probably walk you through another restore, but at least you will have started a record of the problem, making it easier to get an exchange down the road if needed.

OP
P

peteparts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought of this earlier today, also. I did another restore, but went back as a new iPad instead of restore from backup, which wiped all the apps off and deleted the email configures. I have readded one of the email accounts, and changed the "advanced" setting to delete from server when deleted from iPad, (Hope I don't live to regret this). Then I went to the app store and added only apps specific to the iPad. I had 70+ apps for my phone and had moved them all to the iPad, and I think that maybe a ghost came with one of them (Simular to your thought). So now I have 8 extra apps and so far so good, but it still flushes itself back to the home screen once in a while as you are using an app. Going into Settings>>email>> doesn't lock up now (for now), we'll see what happens. I have spent hours on this. It would be good if cheap ass Apple would include a few instructions....warnings in the box so just maybe i wouldn't have loaded something that was going to cause this much headache. Thanks again,
Also, once a month or so, I trave thru Dayton on my way to Lewiston calling on customers. Nice little town.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should not go back to the home screen unless you close the app. If it is still doing this after all that restoring, call Apple. I'm betting you have a defective unit. It could be some bad RAM, so that every time an app tries to use it, it crashes.

Take it back to Apple. You've had enough heart ache with this one and you deserve a unit that works right.

I like visiting Portland. Downtown is nice to walk around, and that huge used bookstore (can't remember the name) is a wonderful place to get lost in. Been a while since I visited, six or seven years I think. The DoubleTree had excellent chocolate cookies though. That I remember. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts