What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing to hp h470wbt

SfxRo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the following question: how can i print on hp h470 bluetooth and wifi printer without beeing near a computer/network. This printer has wifi, bluetooth and is battery powered, in one word fully portable. If i am in the middle of nowhere, without any other network sharring possibilities, is it possible to print from ipad 2 3g-wifi. I have installed and it is working trough air print/we print/print central pro/printing test but only on the home network. what are your sugestions? Regards

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the following question: how can i print on hp h470 bluetooth and wifi printer without beeing near a computer/network. This printer has wifi, bluetooth and is battery powered, in one word fully portable. If i am in the middle of nowhere, without any other network sharring possibilities, is it possible to print from ipad 2 3g-wifi. I have installed and it is working trough air print/we print/print central pro/printing test but only on the home network. what are your sugestions? Regards

I'm afraid it can't be done because (a) this printer (I have one too) in not on the list of AirPrint compatible printers and (b) is not supported directly by PrintCentral - thus you have to use the WePrint PC app that the developers provide.

If you were to jail break your iPad then you might be able to print using Bluetooth, but Bluetooth printing is not supported by a unmodified iPad.

Tim

Reaction score
The printer needs to be connected to a wifi network, otherwise you won't be able to print. Not sure, how far on the countryside you mean by 'nowhere'. But if you happen to have electricity nearby, any wifi router with a USB port should be able to share the printer wirelessly, such as the Airport Express.

Would a wifi printer be able to join a Mifi network?

Your printer has wireless, right?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The printer needs to be connected to a wifi network, otherwise you won't be able to print. Not sure, how far on the countryside you mean by 'nowhere'. But if you happen to have electricity nearby, any wifi router with a USB port should be able to share the printer wirelessly, such as the Airport Express.

Would a wifi printer be able to join a Mifi network?

Your printer has wireless, right?

The difficult they face is that this printer is not AirPrint compatible and it's not supported for direct wireless printing by PrintCentral, so it needs to print via their PC app WePrint. So they basically need a PC too to be able to run the WePrint app....

I can't see a way around that problem...

Tim

sammplai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The difficult they face is that this printer is not AirPrint compatible and it's not supported for direct wireless printing by PrintCentral, so it needs to print via their PC app WePrint. So they basically need a PC too to be able to run the WePrint app....

I can't see a way around that problem...

Tim

There is a easy way to do it get the wifi adapter from hp that is USB plug into printer and go to wifi settings search for wifi and it will show on wife's then select it.
Down load eprint from hp it is free.
Remember select hp wifi to print then it can see printer then you can open folders in eprint and print PDFs are photos it doest matter
I hope this helps tomorrow I'll go teach apple how to do it here in baton rouge la.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a pretty old thread, and we've learned a lot since then. Here is some more general information for anyone who stumbles across it.

Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. This includes several HP printers and a smaller selection of Canon and Epson printers. Be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are a couple ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.
Most (or all) other print apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or other method. Print n Share used to be able to print from AirPrint enabled apps if it was loaded the background. It lost this ability with iOS 5. It may still work with iOS 4 if you get it before the app is updated in the App Store.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (several months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

Karlso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you test this?

Hi, did you manage to test the hp470, with the wireless usb and print central or any other solution?
I'd be interested in what you ended up with.
Cheers
Karl

justinjkemp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printer must be connected to the Wi-Fi, but you will not be able to print. This is actually an upgraded version of the printer OFFICEJET H470, and it's truly complete when it comes to features that each individual traveler and from the look in a portable printer.

mhorvatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please check the solution called Walk'n'Print (walknprint dot com), there is a solution for portable printing from iPad to portable printing devices from Canon and HP

Most reactions

Latest posts