What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to understand AirPrint Printing

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been looking at new printers, the HP Envy 110 / 114 models. I managed to find (in the very small print) that the printer requires a WiFi network to function as an AirPrint printer. I live in my motorhome (alone) and honestly, I don't really need a WiFi network, router, ethernet cables, and all that jazz to do my iPad computing.

I was going under the assumption that one could acquire a wireless printer (one on the Apple AirPrint list) and the iPad could find it and print to it. That assumption now seems to be disturbed by that which I read of the WiFi network requirement.

I do have a Windows 7 laptop, which I can connect to my HP OfficeJet 470 mobile printer and print from the iPad (actually only able to make that work once, right after installation, but never again). But, I don't want the complexity and sillyness of having to wire it all together, have the laptop on, and then print from the iPad.

There has to be something simpler - another printer, perhaps, that can just sit there and offer itsself wirelessly to the iPad for printing, without me having to provide it with a wireless router also. (Sure wish I could find a wireless print server that would handle AirPrint. I'd opt for that... but never been able to find one of those!)

Can someone please set me straight. Thanks!

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well i never heard of a printer that comes with a router option.
But why don't you buy a cheap router and the HP Envy?
You don't need ethernet cables and you don't need to have your PC running to print from the ipad ->router -> printer.

And there are also router out there where you can plug any USB printer. I had one router in the past that came with an USB port for the printer but had trouble to set it up correctly so my first advice might be the easiest way.

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, but I'm not interested in setting up a router. I am using my iPhone as an access point for internet and tethering my computer and iPad by WiFi to the phone. That in itsself is complexity enough and often problematic. I just thought that these wireless printers could actually be used wirelessly - without other systems having to be put in place. Perhaps some printer manufacturer will come up with that concept some time from now.

[[ EDIT ]] In doing some more research, I have also found that one would have to acquire a router that supports Bonjoure, and there is quite a bit of discussion on that compatibility issue. Some do and some don't and one would have to be very careful to select one that does. Cisco/Linksys units seem to be the topic of problems in this area in recent discussions. I AM trying to get a handle on this.

Last edited:

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an linksys wrt54gl router and you can get that one cheap today. It works with bonjour.
I had only to reboot it once last days because my HP 6500A printer didn't show up all the time in the network but since reboot it works fine.
Well it seems that you are a few years ahead with your problem. Maybe we will see printer in the future that works without a router when people starts using their ipad as PC replacements.
You should ask Apple or Hp if they will be working on this problem

Most reactions

Latest posts