1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

prevent update to 5.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by dpcardoza, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dpcardoza

dpcardoza iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    just jailbroke my new to me iPad 2. Have a couple of questions. Is there a way to set up an password protected update for 5.1. I'm afraid one of my kids might do something accidentally and there is not going back. It has a little red one on the settings icon letting me know there is an update available. Might be to tempting for a 8 year old with ADHD. And an adult for that matter. :eek:
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    Go to Cydia and download the free tweak "No Update." It blocks the iPad from looking for and then downloading the over-the-air update.

Now, I have to tell you that I don't know know how well it works on an iPad that already has the download done (which is what I assume you have, given that you have the red badge). But, it might stop the update from running should that line be pressed. Heck, it might remove the update (but that's just me wishing it will for you ... I do not know).

Regardless, that is the only tweak I know of to block the OTA. It's running great on my iPhone and iPad.

Good luck.

Marilyn
  3. Redneck_Randy

Redneck_Randy iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Marilyn,

No Update works very well. I have it on my ipad to block the 5.1 update :)

How it works is that it block the update page in Settings on the ipad.
  4. dpcardoza

dpcardoza iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    thanks. worked like a charm. Won't get rid of the indicator saying I have a download available but won't let me update it either. Guess the little red 1 on the settings icon is there to stay but it did what I needed it to do. Thanks.
    Darren
  5. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    Yay! Glad it'll stop the update from happening ... which is what you wanted.

Oh, and just do what I did when I had that little red badge while waiting for the jail break on the iPhone 4S: I adopted it and called it "Bob.". He was my constant companion for a few months... :D

Marilyn
  6. Redneck_Randy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Go to Cydia and search for Badge Remover. It remove the round red badge showing updates for both Cydia and App Store but will still show you if you have any updates when you either open Cydia or the App Store apps.
  7. dpcardoza

dpcardoza iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I tried downloading it but didn't want to install on my ipad so I'll just live with it. His name will be Carl.
  8. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    Bummer that tweak didn't work for you. Here's hoping the jail break community lets you "kill off" Carl soon.... :)

Marilyn
  9. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    Bob and Carl FTW! :D
  10. ztorque

ztorque iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so this Badge Remover will work on ipad i also have the red badge on my setting update.and i want to removed it.also if you install no update from cydia will this tweak wont let any updates from happening even for regular apps or just firmware update.
    thanks
  11. imik12

imik12 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tip on the 2 apps. They both work like a charm!
  12. barefootpilot

barefootpilot iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    App updates continue as normal, it just stops the 'over the air' update for the firmware. Be careful connecting the iPad to iTunes too, as this will still prompt for download/install of new firmware version.
  13. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have an iPad2 WiFi

I have just downloaded/installed "No Update" and "Badge Remover." I STILL HAVE badges. I have resprung and rebooted. It says this is a "Theme" and I'm wondering if there is a toggle for it or other control to activate it. I have SBSettings, but can't find anything there with that name. (There IS something else I'm going to ask about in a minute.)

Anyway, my "settings" icon showed the update badge for the first time this morning. Does this mean that the update has already been fetched to the iPad - and is waiting for me to give it the go-ahead? I'm not worried about it, because I'm very vigilant is these matters... and I have the "no update" installed, but was just wondering how this works. My iPhone does not have the update badge yet.

Also, in SBSettings control panel, under "More" is a section called "iOS 5+ Notification" under that headding are the selections, "Disable Toggles" - "Separate List" - "Using Window Toggles" - "Notification Theme" - "Notification Options" Can someone please explain what this is all about. I don't want to mess with it until I know what it does.

Thanks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF
  14. Redneck_Randy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  15. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Fooey... I don't think I have that installed, or want to. But to be fair, is it a safe app for installation now? I did put it on the iPhone in the beginning, but haven't given it much thought of fiddling since.

Thanks for the update.

[[ EDIT ]] I also installed "No Update" on the iPhone. Then I went to settings <> Firmware Update section on both pad and phone and saw that it was working fine. I'll look at the link though - and also thanks for that.

16. ztorque

ztorque iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    even if you install no updates from cydia, if you sync with itunes will it try to update by itself?
  17. Redneck_Randy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yes, so be careful there with iTunes
  18. Redneck_Randy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Winterboard is safe. It's just a toggle app for Winterboard themes and other apps like Badge Remore
  19. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,743 / 0
    The good news is that you can stop iTunes from harassing you about an newer (!), improved (!) version of the iOS Every. Time. You. Plug. It. In (can you tell it used to irritate me? :) ).

When you plug the jail broken iPad into iTunes and get that pop-up notice, you'll see that there is a teeny-tiny box in that pop-up - check it to tell iTunes not to give you that pop-up again. It'll still show on the main About tab, in iTunes, that your iPad needs updating, but it would take a conscious act to press that "Restore" button versu absentmindedly pressing an "OK" in a pop-up.

Do note that the pop-up will reappear when/if you load a new version of iTunes. Just repeat the checking of the box step...

Marilyn
  20. Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I do have Winterboard installed after all, and have set the Badge Remover toggle to on, but still have the settings icon badge and others. It seems to not actually be working. Is there something else that has to be done to activate Winterboard theme controls otherwise?

[[ EDIT ]] There are two of these apps "Badge Remover" (the one I have, and the one that toggles through Winterboard) and "BadgeRemover" (no space), which does not indicate how it is controlled/toggled, if it can be. I have not installed it. I have however, sent a message to the app developer of the other one indicating my problem. AND... there is a paid app: "Badge Clear" 0.99, that might be worth the try. Sill, I'm being very cautious with apps I install now. I'm sure I don't have to say why!