What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 Restore Woes

giffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all I wanted to express my thanks for this forum - this place is a wealth of resources and I'm glad it's here.

I have some questions, but I first wanted to give a little background of my situation. I am based in China and have recently inherited an iPad1 64gb and jailbroke it on version 4.3 (8F190) with redsn0w. It works well enough but I was too hasty in my jailbreak. Now I wish to restore it as there are still many applications from the person who owned it before me and some apps (like the App store) are in Chinese. Also the iPad is still tied to the previous owner and as I don't know their login/password I can't download any new apps either.

In jailbreaking I also have saved the 5.1 SHSH blob to Cydia, but as it wasn't jailbroken before there are no other versions that are saved. I know I can restore with TU to 5.1 but as I explain below I've had some troubles with that.

So I realize I screwed up jailbreaking it and wish to restore or even update it - I've read that since it's an iPad1 I'll always be able to jailbreak no matter what version. However I have been unable to wipe it clean and restore to any version because of:

1) ridiculously slow download times on the 5.1 ipsw from the appldnld link - I managed to download the 4.3 ipsw from another mirror which was lighting fast, but no such luck for 5.1. The 5.1 download will take ~24 hours, and I guess I can let it download like that but I don't want to out of principal and because it might not work even if I did. It shouldn't take that long dammit!
2) I get the 3194 Unknown error trying to shift+restore (to the same ipsw I jailbroke it on - 4.3) in iTunes even after I followed the guide - my hosts file doesn't have any mention of gs.apple.com and I disabled MS Security Essentials.

I'm wondering what I can do from here, other than sit through that download? As I already have the 4.3 ipsw is there a way to restore that way? Ideally I could solve this 3194 error (what am I doing wrong?) and be able to restore that way.

Is there a mirror out there for 5.1? If I restore will I be able to change the account that the iPad is hooked up to, and change the language of the App store (the rest of the iPad I already switched to English, but for some reason the App store didn't follow)?

Thanks for sitting through this rambling post and I appreciate any feedback!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Sit tight and someone will be along who can answer your question, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, bad news out of the way first. You cannot restore that iPad1 back to iOS 4.3. because you don't have the SHSH blobs for it. It is true that an iPad1 can go back to any firmware version - but ONLY if the SHSH blobs for that version have been saved. As a side note, that is why you are getting the 3194 error when trying to install the 4.3 firmware.

So, as you only have iOS 5.1 blobs, thats the only version you can use. It's a tethered jailbreak - but it'll do until one comes out for 5.1 or 5.1.1 that is untethered (which we are hearing is soon...).

So, if you don't want to wait for the couple of weeks we expect for the release of the new jailbreak and want to get this over with, you have to use iOS 5.1. Here is a link to the official Apple firmware that this forum hosts: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=24939. You might get it downloaded easier and faster if you try that link. Otherwise, I don't know of a better place... Just make sure you select the firmware appropriate for your particular iPad.

Once you get the IPSW, you can do the shift+restore in your iTunes to install that firmware version. Then, set up the iPad as a new one and use your own Apple ID to set it up. That should make it so your App Store is in your language.

Once you've got the iPad running stock on iOS 5.1, you can then jail break it again. Here's a tutorial on jail breaking, tethered, iOS 5.1: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=49435

That should do it for you. Then, you should have any iPad that is all yours with just your "stuff" on it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder, redsn0w can jailbreak 5.1.1 tethered too, so no need to make it too complex. Just restore the latest firmware and use redsn0w. :D

OP
G

giffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Mickey330, f4780y

Thank you for your replies. I figured I was SOL with the 4.3 jailbreak. Oh well! I'm not too fussed with a tethered jailbreak for the iPad, as I would rarely turn it off anyway and would mostly use it at home.

So I think I'll go with a 5.1.1 restore then jailbreak from there, as there isn't any difference (in terms of jailbreaking) with that and 5.1. So I just started up the Restore process through iTunes and it's ridiculously slow - without a VPN it was saying it would take upwards of 36 hours! Just turned the VPN on and it's merely down to 9. Oh well! I'm lucky today in that I can let it run for that long.

I'll update on my progress after I've jailbroken or if I run into any roadbumps. Thanks again for the support!

OP
G

giffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Back again with another issue...

I'm fairly certain I've successfully jailbroken my first restored 5.1.1 device using redsn0w. It went through all the screens that it should go through eventually leading to the pwnapple logo. Now I know I need to boot it tethered but am having trouble doing so. When I go through the process I get to Identifying then it gets to Exploiting through limer1n then it just gives me the error Exploit failed.

I'm not sure where to go from here - maybe I didn't jailbreak it properly? I think that could be it as I forgot to make the program run in XP SP2 Administrator mode when I jailbroke it earlier (I'm on W7). So maybe I need to start all over again. Is there a way to do that without having to re-restore it through iTunes? That might just be the easiest though.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
giffin said:
Hi all,

Back again with another issue...

I'm fairly certain I've successfully jailbroken my first restored 5.1.1 device using redsn0w. It went through all the screens that it should go through eventually leading to the pwnapple logo. Now I know I need to boot it tethered but am having trouble doing so. When I go through the process I get to Identifying then it gets to Exploiting through limer1n then it just gives me the error Exploit failed.

I'm not sure where to go from here - maybe I didn't jailbreak it properly? I think that could be it as I forgot to make the program run in XP SP2 Administrator mode when I jailbroke it earlier (I'm on W7). So maybe I need to start all over again. Is there a way to do that without having to re-restore it through iTunes? That might just be the easiest though.

In redsn0w, make sure you specify the 5.1.1 firmware in the Extras > Select IPSW option before trying to boot tethered. That will fix it.

Most reactions

Latest posts