Waze is a GPS-based geographical navigation app for smartphones and tablets with GPS support which provides turn-by-turn information and user-submitted travel times and route details. Developed by the Israeli start-up Waze Mobile, it was later on acquired by Google in 2013.
The company has now issued a pretty big updated on the iTunes Store for iPhone and iPad users, bringing a new design and layout, as well as new features.
The latest version 3.9.2 has received several design tweaks, such as the location sharing interface and quick-messaging screen, which now allows you to quickly notify friends that you’re on the way.
The updated Waze app also gained a Today view widget that displays the estimated travel time to your home or work addresses, and allows you to quickly get directions to either location by tapping on them. Even more, now it's possible to send your ETA to friends from the widget while navigating to your destination.
Waze also informs that traffic data is now improved when changing a route to avoid slowdowns, and a new setting allows the map to automatically swap between 2D and 3D styles. Here's a quick rundown of all the new features and improvements:
It's really cool that the app comes with separate versions for iPhone and iPad users, so you will be able to enjoy the service at its fullest.
- Sending "I'm on my way" message is simpler than ever! With a new design and layout, you can easily keep your friends & family posted on the progress of your drive
- New Waze Today Widget for iOS 8! Quickly view your ETA for Home or Work, navigate with one tap, and easily send your current drive & ETA (when navigating). Pull down your Notification Center and tap Edit to add the extension
- Updated look and function for sending a location
- ETA & route changes now include richer traffic information
- New map display setting automatically switches between 2D and 3D view
- Bug fixes and performance enhancements