What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo app

Renny29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a principal interested in using my iPad as a comprehensive educational tool. Overall very happy with the device. One problem I am having is with the Photo app. Specifically, I cannot delete certain photos from the app, plus I cannot save photos from a Picasa-enabled app to this Photo app. I take several photos of school events and would like to use the iPad to develop media products for newsletters using Pages, but without the Photo app working properly this is difficult.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photo app is pretty limited. You can only delete photos that were taken on the iPad, saved from another app on the iPad, or imported via the camera connection kit. These are store in the Saved Pictures, Camera Roll, or Imported albums.

All other albums are created when you sync them with folders through iTunes. You a only add, remove, and delete photos in these albums by doing it first on the computer's folders and then syncing the iPad.

(on a Mac you usually sync with iPhoto, and make changes there)

There are third party photo apps that are more versatile, but unfortunately their albums will not show up in Pages when you want to add a photo.

There are several third party apps that will let you copy photos to the iPad's Photos app without going through iTunes. You won't be able to organize them into albums, but you can use the photos with Pages and many other apps.

GoodReader is a must. It is the closest thing to a file manager the iPad has. But while it will work to move photos around, it's not the tailored to the job.

The best app I know to just get photos on and off the iPad is PhotoSync. You can set it up either with a computer client for easy use, or it will generate a web interface that can be used with most browsers.

I don't use the Picasa app, but I find it hard to believe it won't save to the Photo app. Dig a little deeper. The options is probably just called Save. Or it might be listed under the OpenIn... options. Also, there are several Picasa apps. Maybe another one will do a better job for you.

OP
R

Renny29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I did purchase GoodReader for it's PDF capabilities alone. Hopefully I can utilize it for storing photos too.

PhotoSync looks useful if you have an iPhone. Unfortunately I live in an area with poor AT&T and Verizon service. I use my Android phone to take pics and upload to Picasa. Ive restored my iPad, reinstalled the web photo app, nothing seems to work.

What are specific substitutes for the Photo app?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Web photo app?

Some forum members recommend Photo Manager HD.

PhotoSync also moves photos between the computer and iPad, in case you had not realized that.

Most reactions

Latest posts