What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF Reader that can change page background colour

LuisM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear IPad users,

I am looking for an app that enables the changing of the page colour for better reading, less strain on the eyes.

Can you kindly suggest one that defenetly offers that possibility?

Regards,
Luis Medinas

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you looked at any of the free e-readers, such as iBooks? It can read PDFs and I believe you can change the screen to sepia while in a PDF (I know you can if you're in an epub). There are others, but this may be the easiest?

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. You can't change the background color of a PDF in iBooks.

I don't know of any PDF reader that will let you do this. It is in the nature of a PDF file to contain all the necessary information to print, and because of this things like background color are embedded in the file. Most PDF readers, all that I know, are concerned with an accurate representation of the file. You'd need a PDF editor to change something like the background color.

PDF Expert does have a Night display mode. It converts to grayscale and then inverts the image so that the text is white on a black background.

You don't need PDF expert to do this. The Accessibility feature Black on White in Settings > General > Accessibility will do this in a more colorful way for the entire iPad display.

An ePub or most other ebook formats are just a collection of text and files with tags to suggest layout. That means background color, text size, and other stuff is usually unspecified, and therefore up to the app displaying it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I just happened to have the iPad sitting in front of me, so I checked. After all, it's not impossible, just unlikely.

OP
L

LuisM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI,

Thanks for the attention.

Oh man, I really needed that option.

I have downloaded adobe reader for the mac, which I assume is the latest version, and it does just that, gives us the option of changing the background colour.

Anyone else knows if there is such an app for the Ipad? A reader with a fixed 'rustic' page background or sepia etc., would also be good even if it doesn't allow to change between other colours. Just like the background of the Notebook app.

Regards,
Luis Medinas

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Adobe just released Adobe Reader for the iPad. It does not list the feature in the description, but the app is free if you want to check it out.

Doc2rDay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you ever find that ipad app? I too have serious issues with eye strain and light sensitivity. I have to read on pc or ipad all day everyday. A dark grey bg with light grey font works well for me. I can adjust it in adobe reader on pc like you do n mac, but i havent figured it out on ipad yet.

wesley6j

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you ever find that ipad app? I too have serious issues with eye strain and light sensitivity. I have to read on pc or ipad all day everyday. A dark grey bg with light grey font works well for me. I can adjust it in adobe reader on pc like you do n mac, but i havent figured it out on ipad yet.

My tweak "PaperBoard" can do that for you. you can pick any background image for any ios apps. So it does not matter which app you use or what format of files you read. Just search PaperBoard in cydia.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, some PDF Readers have added this feature. iBooks still doesn't, but PDF Expert has day, sepia, and night modes for reading PDFs. I'm sure there are others.

It's been almost two years, after all. Someone was bound to find a way, if it was possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts