Outer Banks - North Carolina

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, May 31, 2017.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    New Bonner Bridge Over Oregon Inlet Projected to Open in Fall of 2018!

The current Bonner Bridge (which we drove over on our recent trip to the OBX) is over 50 years old and had an expected lifespan of 30 years - the bridge should have been replaced already but for various reasons the date has been delayed (see quotes below); finally, the NEW bridge should be opening at the end of next year - we'll probably have to make a return visit (we did see a LOT of the new bridge a few months ago). The second YouTube video below shows a nice 'visualization' of the new bridge which pretty much parallels the old one - parts of the original Bonner Bridge will remain, in part as fishing piers. Dave :)

BBridge1.png BBridge2.png BBridge3.png BBridge4.png

#51 giradman, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Thousands Evacuate Hatteras & Ocracoke Islands After Massive Power Outage!

On Thursday, the construction crew building the new Bonner Bridge drove a steel casing into a MAJOR underground power line causing a complete outage to Hatteras & Ocracoke Islands ("The Cape Hatteras Electric Cooperative said in a news release that PCL Construction told the utility it had driven a steel casing into an electric transmission cable while working on the new Bonner Bridge on the state's coast, inadvertently cutting off power to Ocracoke and Hatteras islands." - Source).

Non-residents, which would be thousands of people this time of the year, were ordered to leave the two islands - generators have been brought in for an unspecified time period, so those w/ plans in the next few days or week are in limbo. This event will have a major impact on the local economy (lodging, food, tourism, etc.) since the summer months are the peak visiting time for the Outer Banks - many businesses 'shut down' for the late fall and winter. My cousin & her family are due a visit next month, so hope the cable is repaired by then. I cannot imagine how Susan & I would have felt (words not appropriate for a forum, I suspect - ;)) - Dave :)

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Well, we had a trip planned to return to the Outer Banks in the spring of this year (2020) BUT the pandemic led to cancellation, as with the rest of our trips planned - wanted to drive over the new Oregon Inlet bridge, discussed a few posts back in this thread.

BUT - am now reading the recently published book below, The Lost Colony and Hatteras Island by Scott Dawson, a Hatteras native and local historian. In the last 10 years or so, much archeologic research has been done on the island (see quote at bottom from Amazon) which has shown that the remaining (unknown number) colonists on Roanoke Island simply moved to Hatteras (then called Croatoan) and assimilated with the 'friendly' native population.

SO, for those that have been following this story over the years (for me, decades), then this new book is highly recommended. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 11.45.49 AM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes a virtual trip can be just as interesting as an actual trip.

#54 scifan57, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I hope we can soon take all the trips that we had to cancel . Traveling to the NC coast is always a treat.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    New Oregon Inlet 'Marc Basnight Bridge'

A couple posts back, pictures and videos were shown of the old Herbert C. Bonner Bridge spanning Oregon Inlet and declared obsolete - the replacement bridge named after a local businessman and long term state congressman is officially the Marc Basnight Bridge (see brief quote below - the link has much more about Oregon Inlet and the Bonner Bridge). Pics below show the new bridge nicely compared to the older one - the last video is Scifan..'s 'virtual tour' showing the early deconstruction of the Bonner structure; a portion(s) will be left as a fishing pier, I believe. That new bridge was going to be a highlight for us earlier this year - hopefully, same time next year? Dave :)

OregonInlet1.jpeg OregonInlet2.jpg OregonInlet3.jpg