South Carolina Coast - Beaufort, Kiawah Island, & Charleston

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Apr 23, 2018.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Kiawah Island - Food Options?

Eating on Kiawah Island or nearby off-island locales offers many options from inexpensive places, in condo cooking, and expensive restaurants - we've done all over the decades but for our 3 nights decided to splurge (see options below w/ pics). First night @ Jasmine Porch in the Sanctuary - shared a dozen oysters from New England (excellent!); Susan had the scallops & I the 'fresh catch' (halibut).

Second night, we took a shuttle to the Ocean Course, far east end of the island and site of a number of major golf tournaments (see aerial map w/ my additions) - probably our favorite place - sat near the window looking out at the finishing 18th hole (views below); ate at the Atlantic Room - again we started w/ oysters and both of us had the seafood stew (described on the menu as: roasted Winter Squash and Shellfish Broth, Local Fish, Shrimp, Mussels, Clams, Crab, Crawfish, Boudin, Sage Toast).

Last night we returned to The Sanctuary to dine at The Ocean Room - started w/ local oysters (again delicious) - Susan decided to go w/ a filet mignon which she enjoyed - I had the braised octopus dish and loved (rarely a choice around our parts - described as: Scallop Mousse Agnolotti, Butternut Squash Puree, Squid Ink Sauce, Aged Feta, Frill Mustard) - for dessert we shared the Sous Bois (Bourbon Cream Puffs, Pistachio “Moss” Cake, Hazelnut-Milk Chocolate Cream, Apricot Gelee, Peach, Crystalized Hazelnut), which was cute, unique and delicious, along w/ some great French press decaf coffee.

NOW - one or a family can certainly eat much cheaper as desired - one off-island choice is Freshfields Village, a shopper's delight - restaurants, shops, and market w/ plenty of pre-made goodies, including sushi, and a LOT of seafood and meats to cook in, if desired. Also off-island is the Bohicket Marina & Market w/ a number of restaurants and shops. Dave :)
    KiawahEats_1.png KiawahEats_2.png KiawahEats_3.png KiawahEats_4.jpg KiawahEats_5.png KiawahEats_6.png KiawahEats_7.jpg KiawahEats_8.jpg

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    H.L. Hunley - Civil War Confederate Submarine - Introduction

Yesterday, we left Kiawah Island to visit the Warren Lasch Conservation Center located in North Charleston. The recovered H.L. Hunley, which was found in 1995 and raised in 2000 is located there undergoing restoration and investigation, now an 18-year endeavor (in 2 years or so a permanent place for display will be chosen likely in the Charleston area).

The H.L. Hunley was the last of a number 'submarines' developed by the Conferderacy from 1862 to 1864 - the first 2 practice tests were unsuccessful killing most of the men on board, including Horace L. Hunley on the second voyage - the submarine was renamed after him; on the third and final voyage, a torpedo was place on the hull of the USS Housatonic, which exploded and sank - the FIRST successful submarine attack in combat, however, the entire 8 man crew was lost - not until 50 years later was submarine warfare seen again, i.e. in WW I (see quotes below from link above for more information).

The Warren Lasch Center has a wonderful exhibit space, tours, and a gift shop - I took a lot of pics w/o my flash, so not great but should show its organization. I'll need 3 posts for completion - the next will be about the tour w/ pics of the actual Hunley; the final post will be about the lost crew and the amazing research performed on their identification, physical facial appearances, and final resting place. Dave :)

HunleyA01.jpg HunleyA02.png HunleyA03.JPG HunleyA04.JPG HunleyA05.JPG HunleyA06.JPG HunleyA07.JPG HunleyA08.JPG HunleyA09.JPG HunleyA10.JPG HunleyA11.JPG HunleyA12.jpg

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Hunley was the first embodiment of the essentials of the modern submarine.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    H.L. Hunley - Civil War Confederate Submarine - Tour

Tours of the conservation area are available on the weekends - tickets can be ordered online (see quote below from HERE), phone, or on entrance. Excellent guides give the tour w/ a thorough discussion of the Hunley - the submarine is in a submersion tank of a caustic solution (see pics below); interpretive exhibits are on view - tours last about 40 minutes - the last two pics below are a working duplication of part of the ship - one can sit in a seat and crank away!

HunleyB01.jpg HunleyB02.JPG HunleyB03.JPG HunleyB04.JPG HunleyB05.JPG HunleyB06.JPG HunleyB07.JPG HunleyB08.JPG HunleyB09.JPG HunleyB10.JPG

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, the Hunley did not really completely submerge - the conning towers were topped w/ hatches (size of a manhole cover) for entry/exit and also had viewing ports, along w/ a snorkel box with two tubes that could be raised and lowered (see pic below). Amazing the development in 50 years w/ the German U-Boat of WW 1 (second pic); apparently the Germans had been working on subs since the 1850s.

I've been inside a number of WW II submarines and one nuclear sub but no earlier German ones from WW I - plus, Susan refuses to go into subs anymore - ;) Dave
    1-s2.0-S0379073816000165-gr1.jpg large.png

6. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Wonderful spring trip! History, ocean, antebellum houses, subtropical island--not to mention local oysters

7. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Yum! (Seafood in mid-NC is iffy)

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    H.L. Hunley - Civil War Confederate Submarine - Crew, Investigation, & Burial

The H.L. Hunley crew consisted of 8 members, including the 'captain', Lt. George Dixon - most were in their 20s & 30s w/ several over 40 years of age; their heights are shown below. They died on February 17, 1864 after sinking the USS Housatonic, likely from suffocation and/or drowning. All eight bodies were in the submarine and have been extensively studied by a wide variety of scientists, including forensic anthropologists; DNA analysis was used - the facial reconstructions are amazing (lots of pics below).

On April 17, 2004, the eight men were interred in the Magnolia Cemetery, just off Meeting Street - the ceremony is described below and must have been quite a gathering. If a Civil War buff like me, this is a MUST visit if in the area - Susan really enjoyed - in the gift shop, we bought a couple of tee-shirts, a magnet for our refrigerator, and a 2014 book on the Hunley and its conservation called Sea of Darkness by Brian Hicks (recommended by our guide who is not a relative - ;)) - Dave

P.S. first pic below are the names of the first two trial crews of the Porpoise (first name of the ship) which sank, killing 13 of 16 men.

HunleyC01a.JPG HunleyC01b.JPG HunleyC02a.JPG HunleyC02b.JPG HunleyC04a.jpg HunleyC04b.jpg HunleyC05.JPG HunleyC06.JPG HunleyC07.JPG HunleyC09a.JPG HunleyC09b.JPG HunleyC10.jpg HunleyC11.jpg HunleyC12.jpg

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Hunley had diving planes and ballast tanks. The method of attack employed was used because the self propelled submarine torpedo and the submarine periscope had not yet been invented. We'll never know for sure but it's possible that proximity to the explosion may have contributed to the loss of the Hunley with her crew.

Have you seen the U Boat in Chicago? I saw it in 2012, shortly after it was moved into it's current underground bunker and restored.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:

Much of the Hunley's disappearance was discussed on the tour and also in many of the exhibits - the impact of the explosion remains speculative - the crew was likely trapped in the ship and likely suffocated from lack of air and/or drowned - as mentioned, I bought the book shown below and will start to read - the reviews are excellent. As to the U-Boat in Chicago, don't remember a visit but have not been there in about 8 years or so. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 11.39.48 PM.png