What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok i really need the scoop about tethering a iPhone 4 to a iPad 2 with AT&T

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure would love it if I could tether my unlimited AT&T grandfathered iPhone data plan to my WIFI iPad, but that sure isn't happening, and I'm not about to give up my unlimited iPhone date because that's the thing I use most when I'm out. I use my iPad at home for surfing, also at seminars where there is free WIFI anyway, and at work, I don't need the internet since I have it on my work computer, so I am using my iPad for other productivity tasks. So for me, I am not messing with what works. Even so, it still would be fun to be able to use my iPad at work to browse during lunch, but I'll live!!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using my iPhone 4 with a data plan of $25 for the 2 gigs. I called them when I purchased my iPad 2 wifi only to add the tethering/hotspot option and for the $20 more got another 2 gigs with hotspot . So if you were like me I'm only paying an additional $20 and doubling my data. Don't know if I'll ever use 4 gigs but I'm gonna try ;)

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't you guys tether for free from your phone like I do with my droid x as it's rooted.....would you guys just jail brake your iphone4 in order to do this? And is there a wireless tether app in app store for apple?

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can jailbreak an iPhone and buy an app in Cydia for 19.99 and use your iPhone as a hotspot.

broseph23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jman09 said:
You can jailbreak an iPhone and buy an app in Cydia for 19.99 and use your iPhone as a hotspot.

Now there's a better option, you can install tetherme from Cheka for 99 cents to hacktivate personal hotspot on 4.3

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THIS IS IGNORANT...you're better off to pay 30, and get unlimited, if you stil lhave it...I never left, and you can't be grandfathered out...if you do this, you lose unlimited, you're better off to buy a 2GB 25$ a month plan from att...don't lose your money....55 total, rather than 2 gb, which I use 3-4.5 a month of my iphone, so I'd already be at 55 a month, 3 GB over the 2 allotted...people don't use their brains...as everything keeps getting more and more HD it takes more and more bandwidth

Last edited:

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cadena96 said:
THIS IS IGNORANT...you're better off to pay 30, and get unlimited, if you stil lhave it...I never left, and you can't be grandfathered out...if you do this, you lose unlimited, you're better off to buy a 2GB 25$ a month plan from att...don't lose your money....55 total, rather than 2 gb, which I use 3-4.5 a month of my iphone, so I'd already be at 55 a month, 3 GB over the 2 allotted...people don't use their brains...as everything keeps getting more and more HD it takes more and more bandwidth

Except that if you take into account the fact you have to jailbreak the iPhone to be able to tether/hotspot. Those of us that aren't comfortable with that could take a different route. Using your example of the unlimited $30...... For $15 more a month you can hotspot and get 4 gigs of data and not have to jailbreak the iPhone. The average person on the unlimited plan (like I was) would never exceed 4 gigs anyway so for piece of mind I'd go the legit path for the $15. Also pointing out with the data pro plan you can disable it one month and start it back up another anytime you like.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPhone4 needs to be running iOS4.3 - then you can set up a 'personal hotspot' (see the iPhone's 'Settings' page). No jailbreaking necessary. Your iPad can then tether to this hotspot. Some service providers (and I think AT&T are among them) require you to have a special 'tethering contract' before you can enable this feature.

Tim
Scotland

Damn, this must of happened n da last da or 2, u have reached Moderator status, Congrats buddy!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technically, if u know how to go about doing it, u don't need to pay for an additional data contract for hotspur tethering. ;-)
IMO that is a complete waste for data u already paying for. U paying more thn double the amount. I am so glad I'm still covered under grandfather clause for unlimited data. I can't imagine having to pay these silly contracts for data. I'm always using data n would exceed probaly even the highest plan. Keep lookin around and u will see there are ways around it. They are spanking people with these nonsense data contracts for hotspots.,,,lmfao

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure would love it if I could tether my unlimited AT&T grandfathered iPhone data plan to my WIFI iPad, but that sure isn't happening, and I'm not about to give up my unlimited iPhone date because that's the thing I use most when I'm out. I use my iPad at home for surfing, also at seminars where there is free WIFI anyway, and at work, I don't need the internet since I have it on my work computer, so I am using my iPad for other productivity tasks. So for me, I am not messing with what works. Even so, it still would be fun to be able to use my iPad at work to browse during lunch, but I'll live!!

Actually u can w/out having to pay $$$ out da a$$..lol just keep searching the threads n forums n u will find the way ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts