What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok i really need the scoop about tethering a iPhone 4 to a iPad 2 with AT&T

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to tether my IPad 2 non 3G to my iPhone 4. Is it possible without jail breaking either ? What cables are needed. Can someone post detailed instructions, Do I have to notify AT&T?

Thanks in advance. ThePhotog

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPhone4 needs to be running iOS4.3 - then you can set up a 'personal hotspot' (see the iPhone's 'Settings' page). No jailbreaking necessary. Your iPad can then tether to this hotspot. Some service providers (and I think AT&T are among them) require you to have a special 'tethering contract' before you can enable this feature.

Tim
Scotland

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you upgraded the Firmware of your iPhone 4 to 4.3? There's an option called Personal Hotspot that allows your iPhone 4 to share data with your iPad 2. Go to apple.com for more info.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your iPhone4 needs to be running iOS4.3 - then you can set up a 'personal hotspot' (see the iPhone's 'Settings' page). No jailbreaking necessary. Your iPad can then tether to this hotspot. Some service providers (and I think AT&T are among them) require you to have a special 'tethering contract' before you can enable this feature.

Tim
Scotland

Wow! You beat me by a minute. lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a sad person who just can't sleep - it's the middle of the night here....

Must get a life....

Tim
Scotland

OP
ThePhotog

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm only considering tethering if we are on vacation. I wouldn't mine paying a month at a time.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Stephc3382

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Set up new iOS 4.3 on iPhone 4 and 1st gen iPad last night. Nothing changed on phone, doesn't give option to create personal hotspot.

Anon_Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

Awesome! Thanks for explaining...I hope the 45/month isn't true.

Last edited:
OP
ThePhotog

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a annual contract or can you set it up for month to month?

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a annual contract or can you set it up for month to month?

Looks like you can switch to the tether data plan on months you want to use it. I just looked it up on my account in the manage features option online. And it is $45 a month but you also get 4GB total of data with the $45 tether package.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wisco, you are not paying for a current

iPad connection until such time as you activate it. This is separate from your iPhone contract. It is in addition to your 3G service month to month that you may also activate fro your iPad. Those are three different, unique services. The mobil hotspot function, at $45, drives your computer and other devices like your iPad2

If you have the $45 mobil hotspot activated and are also paying your $25 iPad 3G charge you are double paying. Your iPhone contract only gives you service for your phone. Your iPad monthly usage 3G fee drives only that singular iPad.

Clear as mud?

Most reactions

Latest posts