What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd iPad errors

Capri142

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an 64gb iPad that I purchased 11/2011 so it has seen quite a bit of use over the past 4 years and has been problem free. Until the past few days. Now, after turning the unit on, after about 10 minutes, screens start jumping from one to another, all on their own....from app to app. Also the keyboard no longer works at all, will not type out any thing at all and the system asks for the Apple password but am unable to type anything in. When I turn the unit all the way off and restart it, all is well for a few minutes but it starts acting up again soon. Any ideas what is going on here?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an 64gb iPad that I purchased 11/2011 so it has seen quite a bit of use over the past 4 years and has been problem free. Until the past few days. Now, after turning the unit on, after about 10 minutes, screens start jumping from one to another, all on their own....from app to app. Also the keyboard no longer works at all, will not type out any thing at all and the system asks for the Apple password but am unable to type anything in. When I turn the unit all the way off and restart it, all is well for a few minutes but it starts acting up again soon. Any ideas what is going on here?

Hello Capri... - just a few questions: 1) Is this an iPad 2; 2) What iOS is installed; 3) Has their been any damage, e.g. a drop and/or liquid spill; and 4) Have you tried a 'Reset' (directions below if not familiar w/ the maneuver - sounds like you at least did a 'Restart')?

If the 'Reset' does not help, have you been routinely backing up the device (to a computer cabled, to the cloud, or both)? A 'Restore' or 'Recovery Mode' might be suggested depending on your responses, but not sure if those steps will help from your description. Finally, the device is out of warranty, but you could take it to an Apple store for a diagnostics assessment (if a consideration, then make an appointment @ the Genius Bar) or a qualified local Apple retailer. Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take longer); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds as if the touchscreen may be failing. A diagnostic as suggested by giradman would confirm whether or not this is your problem. If the screen requires replacement, the repair costs would be high enough to exceed the current value of the iPad. It may be worth considering updating your iPad if that's the case. A full backup should be done as soon as possible before the screen stops responding even after turning it on again.

OP
C

Capri142

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
To answer your questions: 1 the unit has never been dropped. 2. It is an iPad4 3. IOS 8.1.2 I have reset the unit with force close and restart as suggested. to no avail. The issue does not seem to be connected to any particular app, just after the unit has been on for about 10 minutes.

OP
C

Capri142

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds as if the touchscreen may be failing. A diagnostic as suggested by giradman would confirm whether or not this is your problem. If the screen requires replacement, the repair costs would be high enough to exceed the current value of the iPad. It may be worth considering updating your iPad if that's the case. A full backup should be done as soon as possible before the screen stops responding even after turning it on again.
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of that....I have already done a back up. Looks like I'll take a trip to the Apple Store.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
To answer your questions: 1 the unit has never been dropped. 2. It is an iPad4 3. IOS 8.1.2 I have reset the unit with force close and restart as suggested. to no avail. The issue does not seem to be connected to any particular app, just after the unit has been on for about 10 minutes.

Hi again - I saw that you had posted in the 'iPad 4 Forum' but your purchase date of November 2011and/or the iPad model must be incorrect - I bought an iPad 2 in March of 2011 and the iPad 4 was not released until November 2012 (see image below w/ blue oval - Source) - does not really impact on our advice - good luck and let us know what happens! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 6.00.36 PM.png

Most reactions