No Storage Space

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by USN_Retired, Sep 26, 2010.

1. USN_Retired

USN_Retired iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have 32gig iPad with approx 16 gig of programs, pictures, audio files. I recently tried to upgrade a couple of programs and I received a out storage space memory message.

I connected to iTunes and confirmed I only had 16 gig of programs etc But I now have a 16 gig OTHER file. I have looked for days online for a explanation why and have found nothing that talks directly to this problem. I believe it is some kind of cache file and from what I have read deleting the program that created it will delete the Other file but how do you know what program created it? I have tried re-syncing, re-booting, just about every suggestion for fixing an iPad or iPhone problem there is with no luck. Except a restore.

Is there a way to delete this Other file without doing a restore?

What caused this file to grow to the size of all of my available storage space?

How do I determine what program did this so I can take steps to prevent it from happening again?

What is the meaning of life?............Oh sorry I got carried away.

2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    "Other" is data that you have stored in files using the transfer function like GoodReader, Readdle Docs or VLC. Have you transferred files to your iPad?

3. USN_Retired

USN_Retired iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing larger then a few megabytes. Certainly not 16 gig. I thought it might be cache from my Netflix app but I deleted the app and tried rebooting the iPad but it did not clear the "Other" file.

4. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Hm... I can't imagine. Bump for more help.

5. USN_Retired

USN_Retired iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Problem Solved!!!

I figured it out with some help from others on here. I have been poking around reading many slightly similar posts and suspected, as I said in my original post, that the other file was a cache file for a program just which program was a mystery. I was looking at programs I recently installed and one of those was TWIT.

TWIT was the program filling up my storage space. A warning to others who use TWIT do not turn on the Preloader it will eat up all of the storage space on your iPad very fast. I went into the settings and Clear all preloaded Episodes, Users Setting and Cleared Images. A check in General About and I now have 19.2 gig of available storage space on my iPad.:)

I hope this helps someone else out there someday.