What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more buying books for Kindle app on ipad/iphone

wfholcom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple did not make me happy with this one. I'm really mad about it. Maybe this will eventually bite Apple. I'll use a browser to go to Amazon. Apple has plenty of cash, 76 billion to be accurate. Apple, you are greedy!

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was very P.O.'d when the greed mongers from Apple decided to enforce the in app policy.
But you know what? I like this method just fine.You can create a shortcut that works great and looks good on the home screen too.
From within Mobile Safari, click on the Save icon and select Add to Home Screen. Next, name your shortcut “Kindle” and then hit Add.
Now, your iPad will have a Kindle Store link directly on its home screen. Amazon even included a professional looking icon for this purpose!
I'll never buy anything from the iBooks store again. I have purchased a few items in the past but I'll shop elsewhere.
I know many feel the same way as I do. I don't support your dictatorship.

Kirstenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well CRAP!!! Guess I don't have enough experience with Apple to know this is the norm. And, if this is the norm, then I guess my Apple experience will remain limited!!!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple is enforcing an in-app purchase policy that is evenly implemented across the board. Why? Because if they do not charge a royalty on in-app purchases every app would be free and offer in app purchases to get to the value of the app, and Apple would make no money on the app store.

Amazon could have left the in app purchase of Kindle books in their book reader, however THEY were the greedy ones, denying Apple their in app purchase royalty and choosing to make YOU go outside to a browser to purchase books. Amazon's choice.

-t

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Apple is enforcing an in-app purchase policy that is evenly implemented across the board. Why? Because if they do not charge a royalty on in-app purchases every app would be free and offer in app purchases to get to the value of the app, and Apple would make no money on the app store.

Amazon could have left the in app purchase of Kindle books in their book reader, however THEY were the greedy ones, denying Apple their in app purchase royalty and choosing to make YOU go outside to a browser to purchase books. Amazon's choice.

-t

Well pointed out.

I would also note that as commercial organisations they both have a duty to their shareholders to maximise profits. It isn't a choice, it's a requirement.

The Archangel

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-t

It is not a royalty and Apple is not owed it. Apple is not the publisher or marketer of any of the books that Amazon sells. And the idea that Apple should have a "one size fits all" policy for every company that submits an app is self defeating.

Other companies besides Amazon, especially those in the publishing industry are opting out of Apple's requirements. This may not be good for Apple or the company's shareholders, especially as other tablets improve. And if Amazon actually comes out with their own tablet, things could really get interesting.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Then call it a commission. Why should Amazon have the right to sell products through Apple's retail model without paying?

Clearly Amazon could have continued to offer their retail products through in app purchases and simply paid the commission.

They could have even offered them with a 30% up charge if you bought them that way.

They chose not to, which is of course their right.

-t

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But Apple was demanding 30% which is Amazon's entire profit margin on ebooks (which Apple knows since they were the ones to implement the agency pricing model in the first place).

A small cut is resonable IMO but I don't expect any company to give up all their profits.

Taking the in-app purchase option away is much better than totally getting rid of the app so I'm happy with Amazon's decision.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then call it a commission. Why should Amazon have the right to sell products through Apple's retail model without paying?

Clearly Amazon could have continued to offer their retail products through in app purchases and simply paid the commission.

They could have even offered them with a 30% up charge if you bought them that way.

-t

They couldn't do that actually. Part of Apple's terms says companies have to sell their items for the same price (or lower) as they do anywhere else; iTunes customers can not be charged more.

Herrflik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hacked off when I heard about this. I wonder what is next? asking for 30% off amazon retailers if thier product is bought within the app? (Sounds extreme but at the way apple have been going these recent years I wouldnt put it past them).

I know its not a huge problem, in fact its given me reason to ditch my iPad for reading and say hello again to my 2nd gen Kindle. I wont buy from iBook store any time soon

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

-t

Or call it extortion. The larger point is that Apple has stumbled here. Let's see if they are smart enough to back down. One of the great features is its ease of use. This includes apps, no matter the author. This change, affecting not just Amazon, but other publishers, detracts from the user experience. A lot of average iPad customers who can't figure out how to buy a book through Kindle will blame both Apple and Amazon, and will likely mention the negative experience to friends, especially to friends considering an iPad purchase. And if they can more easily get what they want through a Kindle device or Amazon tablet, that is where they will go.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
autumnbaby said:
They couldn't do that actually. Part of Apple's terms says companies have to sell their items for the same price (or lower) as they do anywhere else; iTunes customers can not be charged more.

Can you direct me to this document, because I'm looking at my agreement with them and it does not say this anywhere.

-t

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, If apple is reading this I can GARANTEE them I wont buy the first $%&*(^$#@%&* book from ibooks....in fact I think I'm going to remove the &^(*%^$ app from my ipad!!!!!

Mel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I doubt very much that Apple is reading this...

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts