What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more buying books for Kindle app on ipad/iphone

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kindle app

I have an update for the kindle app which would get rid of the kindle store button. I love the fact that it directs me straight to the ebook section in Amazon. I realise there was an Apple deadline for in-app purchases but what would happen if the update for the kindle app wasn't downloaded? Why does Apple do this? Is it really all about the 30% profit they make on each purchase. The kindle app is one of my favourite apps and the direct button to Amazon is a brilliant feature! Anyone know what would happen or would this be wrong of me to do? I've tried looking it up on Safari and no answers there.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Tom March

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazon just eliminated the "visit the Kindle store" on it's iPad/iPhone app.

I presume we can still use Safari to buy books for the Kindle.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You don't have to update, apple can't force you. Not updating will mean the kindle store button stays and will continue to work.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you!. I thought no-one would answer me but now there are 3 threads with the same sort of query. I can't be the only one to worry about this rule. This is the first time I'm concerned about where Apple is heading.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm just going to ignore the update. That button is useful.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Yes, you can use Safari to get books, then when you open the Kindle app, the purchased books will download. The only thing they really did was take the shortcut from the app. That is all it was anyway - it opened up Safari to the Kindle page on Amazon.

michaelplogue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just create a bookmark on your favorite web browser. There's no point in missing out on reader upgrades when you can buy directly from Amazon.....

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MacDailyNews have said that Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Google and Wall Street Journal have all conceded to taking the store button away.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I suppose so. It's just so annoying and normally I am a big fan of Apple but even I find this a bit heavy handed.

Gridguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Yes, I suppose so. It's just so annoying and normally I am a big fan of Apple but even I find this a bit heavy handed.

I agree... We're reading books, for crying out loud. I see this as a step toward monopolizing what Apple will allow me to read. What's to say Apple's next step won't be to require 30% royalty for even downloading a book onto my iPad? (straight from the web) The problem is that iBooks has such a poor and overpriced selection, and this is a step in the wrong direction of allowing me to enjoy my iPad ... Makes me wonder if an android tablet might be in my future -- I love everything about iPad except this increasing market strategy to control everything I can do with it.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Ok, the update has NOTHING to do with controlling what you can/can't read in the Kindle app. It removes a hyperlink. That's it. Go to Amazon.com's Kindle section and bookmark it.

Also, this update allows you to get Magazines and Newspapers - thus ADDING to what you CAN read/access.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't get annoyed Somerled!  I was just saying that I liked everything in one app. Yes, I can go onto Safari but I like being in the kindle app and doing everything there! It's why I like IPF app and the eBay app, it's because I like apps and only go onto Safari for everything else.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple wanted a 30% cut of all books purchased through the app and Amazon wasn't willing to give up their entire profit margin (can't say I blame them). This was the compromise Apple and Amazon came up with.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple wanted a 30% cut of all books purchased through the app and Amazon wasn't willing to give up their entire profit margin (can't say I blame them). This was the compromise Apple and Amazon came up with.

Interesting, I just updated the Kindle app today w/o really looking at the potential changes, but the browse/purchase button is gone! :confused:

Just curious if you have a link that verifies the statement(s) made above in the quote? Thanks - :)

Most reactions

Latest posts